Case Fans.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theefool, Jan 19, 2015.

1. theefool

theefool Geekified

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Just ordered two of them.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Let us know how you get on with them, I didnt reply yesterday as I have no experience with those fans, as I tend to use Noctua, but sadly they dont have a 180mm fan listed for sale, so couldnt suggest their fans for you, although they are superb.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

From what I've read the Air Penetrator fans are considered high end fans. The 182 series is a decent step up. But they don't work with a fan controller, besides the one that ships with them.

I figured since I now run 3 way sli (for mostly folding, though some gaming) I need to upgrade the fans since the gpus are right next to each other. I have pictures in a different thread.

For not quite the size, the Noctua NF-A14 pushes air flow at 140 with a speed of 1500 (if I'm reading this right)

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=65&lng=en&set=1

The ap-181 does 130 cfm at 1200 rpm.
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=258
    The ap-182 does 130 cfm at 1200 rpm but can go to 170 cfm at 2000 rpm.
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=344

I'll be running them at 2000 rpm. Should drown out my coil whine on my 970s. :-D Not as loud as my server fans at work though. Hopefully. LOL

5. DavidGP

Hi

Will be really nice to know your data on these fans once you have them installed as I'm always open to new ideas or hardware so if these are better and efficient than what I have now I will change.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

It will be a PITA, to take my case apart to get these new fans in, but I will do it. I'm hoping GPU-Z will be enough for a before and after.

I'm thinking of starting a new thread for a case. I love the 90 degree switch of having the outputs on the top, instead of the typical way of most cases.

Since heat rises, your top GPU will gain the heat of the lower ones. BUT, rotate that then the heat should be quite less.

7. DavidGP

I agree and thats why I have 2 top Noctua fans in top of case, So one front, one rear, one side and two top.

I changed all stock fans! and CPU is a Zalman CNPS9800

Coolermaster CM690 case for me.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'm not a fan of these cases, since heat rises Your top GPU gets the heat from the gpu below it. With the 90 rotation on the motherboard heat goes up instead of up through your gpus.

Also, with 90 degree cases, it is easier to access everything. Down side so far is pitiful case wire management.

9. DavidGP

Yeah I hear you on heat rises, which is why in the side of the case is a huge 120" fan to drag heat from the GPU going to the CPU and above the CPU is another 120" fan, cable wise this is a nice case as virtually all cables are not in the way of anything higher than the ram if at all.

I have two 120" fans in front also to push air in and as well as the two I have mentioned a CPU side fan and a back 120" fan, this adds up to on air alone in a 70f room at present temps of

Mobo 36c
    CPU 29c
    GPU diode 47c
    Samsung 840 SSD 30c
    WD 2TB Green 40c

PC been on for 6hrs

I hear you on cases, its difficult to find a perfect one.

10. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Sorry guys, mythbusters time.
    The fact that heat rises has almost nothing to do with case cooling. Heat does rise but is only a factor in passive cooling setups. Fans are so much stronger than natural convection it should not be considered in a cooling setup.
    That being said top vents are still a good idea when properly planned. But not always. I worked on an overheating GPU in a top vent rig because the fan in the upper front of the case blew in and the fan in the top blew out. Little air circulated at the bottom of the case where the video card was. Also the top fan was larger. The video card was dual vented in the case and out the back. The top fan overpowered the video card fan going out of the back, reducing its air flow. I took out the top fan and added a second small fan to the front and all was well.
    For some good cooling ideas check out the Macs. The G3 had direct outside air to the CPU cooling. These were famous over clockers although the CPU itself was difficult to overclock as you had to draw traces. Unfortunately really good case airflow has not caught on - which is why I water cool most of my rigs.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

With my setup my temps are not bad. 84, 81, and 77 celsius. Today. Everything I've read is that it is a bad idea to run 3 way without water cooling, but I'm not having any issues. Which does not mean others won't have any issues.

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I tend to go with a negative pressure in the case, which means multiple exhaust fans, and are being cooled by being drawn in the front port of the case.

If you put your hand in my front intake port, it will chill it rather nicely.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds