Windows seven will not re-install

Discussion in 'Software' started by JamesP, Jan 31, 2015.

1. JamesP

JamesP Private First Class

Hi Guys
    I'm typing this on a tablet so apologies in advance for typos
    I own a high end CLEVO computer running windows 7 Ultimate. It has two discs arranged as a RAID1
    On several occasions I have reinstalled the operating system with no difficulty. I attempted to reinstall it again today using two brand new identical discs.
    Just as I think the installation is complete I get a message that says that windows 7 can't be configured with this computer's hardware (or words to that effect).
    Before I started the computer was running OK but I like to reinstall the operating system about every 18 months - this time with new discs.

I did delete the old Raid and set up a new one with the new discs first. I made no attempt to partition the discs during the installation. As far as I know all the other hardware on the computer is running fine.
    Any ideas?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

First thing I would try is disconnecting one of the drives.

3. JamesP

Actually I'm just trying that
    Thanks TimW

4. JamesP

I thought I had better post a conclusion to this.

I never fail to be amazed by the increasing complexity of computer systems and my own stupidity – the trouble is that I am never certain which is to blame in any particular instance.

I had already decide to try installing just on one disk as TimW suggested and it worked – well until I then attempted to migrate that disk onto a RAID then all fell apart again.

I attempted several configurations but finally decided that I could not spare any more time on experimentation so I realigned my requirements along the lines of the requirements of my computer. The computer won – again!

There are three disk bays on this laptop – yes it is heavy – so in the first I put one of the 500 gig discs that was to be one of the discs in the raid and installed the operating system and programmes on that – there’s plenty of room for expansion. In the second I put the other empty 500g disc and in the third, one of the 500g old raid discs from which I am now gradually moving data onto the new disc.

You see I don’t really need a raid because my data backs up daily onto the third disc, it backs up daily onto our company server and again onto a remote (the other end of the building) NAS. In addition the server – along with the backed up data from my laptop is backed up nightly to a remote server over the internet and just to be sure, the server also backs up to the NAS – I think I’ve got it covered.

So unless you really need to keep going in the event of a single disc failing – who needs a RAID? There not really for backup anyway.

Everything is now working smoothly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds