Is this a decent mobo for overclocking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shattered.likeness, Dec 23, 2006.

1. shattered.likeness

shattered.likeness Private E-2

I have ordered an ASUS P4S800D-X Intel Motherboard, and was wondering if this is a decent overclocking board. Newegg.com customers report mixed reviews mainly due to DOA or SATA problems, but no one seems to mention how well this board does with overclocking.

Here is the setup I purchased:
    I will also be using a PNY Verto GeForce 6200 AGP 8x Video Card (I have already overclocked to 415/700), 2 Antec Case Fans (34 CFM), and the fan included in my case at the side "blowhole". Also switching out the original flat IDE cable for a round one.

SO, here are my questions:
    1. Is this board capable of decent overclocks?
    2. With the given setup, what speeds can I expect to acheive with this build?

Bear in mind that I am not going to try and go "all out" on this, just a bit of a performance increase over stock.

I also understand all components are different in terms of overclocking ability, just asking for estimates.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
    Shattered_Likeness

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Ive got my 3.0 p4 prescott up to 3.6 stable on water cooling @ 1.52V core w/ my memory running @ 2.5-3-3-6 @ pc4100 and its perfectly stable. My board is kind of similar, an ASUS p4p800-e deluxe. However my chipset is an Intel i865PE rather than the SiS. I have no clue how SiS mobos OC but just fiddle with it and realize that the p4 prescotts have a lot of potential, some going up to 4ghz and above. And remember that youve gotta make sure your memory can handle the overclocking as well (im running crucial ballistix)

If you could have found one, the p4p800C (really rare) is the best socket 478 overclocking mobo out there but yours should do OK, ASUS makes great boards.

You should be able to hit 3.2 no problem on stock voltages maybe 3.3 but above that you're getting pretty serious and are gonna have to start tweaking memory and voltages

3. scolanator

scolanator Guest

i recently tried to over clock my P4 3.8GHz to 4GHz on my P4S800D but no luck, just gave me alot of errors. My cpu can take the heat just goes weird, but guess it might be the mobo but i agree viper_boy403 that asus makes great boards, iv been upgrading my P4S800D for three years now and have had zero problems with it even when iv been pushing it to its limits, it managed to work stable for me when it was around 140 F

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds