Wifi + Never finds networks + Ether Works

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Break_Da, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Compaq Presario V2000 series, model V2610US
    Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Laptop crashed hard, loaded XP Pro Special Edition 3

Wireless shows in device manager.
    Driver is digitally signed by MS.
    WLAN properties says it's working properly.

From the Wireless Network Connection, choose a wireless network never shows any networks, never finds anything to connect to. Ethernet works fine, connects, autonegotiates, inquiries for IP addy and DNS info.

"use windows to configure my wireless network settings" is checked.
    automatic ip and dns configuration is checked.
    'repair' does not work, never acquires a addy.

from advanced tab in WLAN properties:
    power save mode is disabled now.
    no values for SSID, only SSID autopromote which is disabled.

Wireless Zero Configuration is set to automatic and is started.

What other services are needed? Or is this a wrong thing to look at?
    Is it possible to 'install' a service, like defrag.ini or backup.ini?
    read somewhere about encryption and needing to match, but WZC is supposed to figure everything out, including which network to connect to?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Some laptops have a way to turn the wireless chip on and off. Read through your documentation and be sure that wireless is turned on.

3. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

There is a button above the keyboard for the wireless to turn it on or off. It is glowing and is turned on.

4. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

I have a Netgear wireless router that requires me to log-in to the router via a wired connection first and then I can turn on the wireless portion of that router.

This only has to be done once and then the router will broadcast in wireless mode. If you reset the router then you have to go through the whole operation all over again.

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

When you reloaded XP, did you use a Microsoft CD or a manufacturer's CD or restore partition?
    If you used the either of the last 2, you may have another wireless connection application that is interfering with the Windows wireless app.
    If you want to use Windows, go to Add/Remove and remove the other software app. If you want to use the other app, go to services and disable the WZC service.

6. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

It is a fresh installation of xp, not a manufactureer's cd or a restored partition. I do not have a third party application to connect with using the wireless.
    No software to remove and WZC is running.

I am connected directly to an access point (ap). No routers between the wireless connection and the Internet cloud.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds