Go all digital

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamepc, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

I'm tired of all our VHS and Super8 tapes everywhere! Here's what I would like to do:
    I want to convert all our tapes to digital format to store on our hard drive. I would only burn the ones we watch often. I was looking at Pinnacle Moviebox to convert the tapes.
    I want to be able to watch the hard drive stored media on our HDTV (I know it won't be HD but just stating it's a Sony TV with a ton of connection options) without having to burn them to a DVD first.
    I want to burn some of our favorite songs from CD and store them on my hard drive.
    And finally, (but not necessarily) watch and record TV through my computer.

Here's some questions I have:
    I have XP now but will be getting a new laptop with Vista early next year. How do I store and organize my media right now with XP? Windows Media Player?
    Does MMC (and Vista) use MMC to store and organize digital media or is it totally different?
    How about watching and recording TV? I know I need a TV Tuner card but it can't tune in the"scrambled" channels. Or is it easier to just use my separate STB/PVR?

Any other tips are appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

Jamie

2. jamepc

jamepc Private E-2

Sorry, the question above, "Does MMC (and Vista) use MMC to store and organize digital media or is it totally different?" Should read:
    "Does Media Center (and Vista) use Windows Media Player to store and organize digital media or is it totally different?"

Thanks!

3. ilovehateyou

ilovehateyou Private E-2

i don't know anything about vista but i do have a Dazzle DVC 150 and that connects using USB and the software that comes with it is Pinnacle Studio QuickStart which is really easy to figure out and is pretty advanced you can record vhs or dv, i love it and it has been very reliable and depending on your processor speed it's decently fast an encoding to mpeg, also, i do have a tv tuner but i Really hate MCE i'd like to use another program to watch and record but media center won't give up the card, it seems to have a death grip on it.! anyway, the channles you get are only what your cable plan is...here's a link for dazzle.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...s/Home+Video/Dazzle/Digital+Video+Creator+150

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds