780i and Patriot Viper RAM problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jibble, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jibble

jibble Private E-2

got me a new 780i a few days ago and had a few issues getting it up and running. I have 2x2Gb sticks of "Patriot Viper Extreme Performance" pc2-6400 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2V... i found that for this ram i had to change the timing and voltage in the bios to get it to work.

Here's the thing. i can only get ONE stick to work at a time. both work by themselves, but i can't get them to work together. I know its a voltage/timing issue but don't really know how to go about figuring it out as im not really that big of a Oc'er or bios guy. Anyone have an idea of what i need to doto get both these sticks of RAM working?

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

are you saying that your computer is only reporting that one is working at a time? can you boot with both of them in? can you be a little more specific...also, you may want to verify that your ram is compatible with your mobo, and see if there are any bios updates.

3. jibble

jibble Private E-2

updated my bios, thats not it

i will not boot with both sticks. It boots with each stick when ONE stick is in. the ram technically isn't compatible but people are using it with the evga 780i

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Try loosening the timings on both of those RAM modules to say 5-5-5-15 you may also have to up the voltages a little more to say 2.3V. Can you be a bit more specific on the RAM, a link would be good to note what are the required timing settings and Voltages via the SPD chip. I assume they are similar to these:

http://www.directron.com/pvs24g6400llk.html

5. jibble

jibble Private E-2

ill mess with the timings and see what happens. I'm giving it a try today and if i don't get any results they are going back.

That link is the EXACT ram

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds