Spyhunter is not free

Discussion in 'Software' started by Telstars, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telstars

Telstars Private E-2

Hi!

I'm fed up downloaded stuff that says it's free but isn't. I got excited when I thought I could remove spywear for free so I let spyhunter do the scan. But when I clicked on removal which is the whole point, it tells me I have to buy it. Why doesn't this site just say so?

2. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

plenty of programs out there that do that I would not even consider buying a program that does that crap. I think they are scum if they do not explain what they are all about before hand

IF you want to remove spyware

try

adaware and spybot
    both can be downloaded here and
    they are truly free
    no bull attached.

adware has hit 10 million downloads here at MG alone
    that should tell you something might be right about this program

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

are you referring to a program that you downloaded here?
    please supply a link.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah which program are you talking about? Is it this one?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1524

There is nothing at this link that claims its free.

5. Ezaxs99

Ezaxs99 Ether Person

Beware of the sign which reads:
    Free Download....meaning the download is free
    not the prog.....seen that before ;)

Just my 2cents :p

6. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

No, that is not the program. There is a program called SpyHunter (see download.com) and it does tell you that there is a limitation. Removal is disabled. See below:

SpyHunter 1.1.29 [font=Arial, Helvetica][size=-1]popular[/size][/font] new
    [​IMG] Download Now
    Free download 2.38MB More download links
    Downloads:409,153Publisher:Enigma Software Group Date added:February 4, 2004File size:2.38MB; Clock this download License:Free to try; $30.00 to buyMinimum requirements:Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XPUninstaller included?:YesLimitations:Parasite removal function disabled

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its also not on this site.

Which he said it was, or thats how I took it.

8. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Your right!:) He did say "this site". Perhaps he meant to say "a site" since MG (as you state) does not carry it.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah maybe thats what he meant :)

10. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

That's how I took it since I did a search here at MG for it and did not find it.

I would like to clarify that I have never downloaded something from MG which has not fully been explained on how it works. WHich is another reason why I love this site.

11. Telstars

Telstars Private E-2

It can't be free if it asks for money.It says "freeware" .

In the list for downloads there is either "freeware" with no $ mentioned or shareware with a free trial or a straight purchase required for the product. This is described as "freeware" but then it asks for $ in order to supply the important bit which is the removal. Therefore it can't be free? Can it?

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

well, where is the download. Is it here on Major Geeks or someplace else.
    I know others have posted links to download.com etc, but I want to hear it from you where you're seeing this.

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Somtimes you get out of date pages (which ive only seen once on this site) where a program that has gone shareware, and the Author link goes to the latest shareware (not freeware) version.

14. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Hi,
    We test everything before posting and if we catch something like that, and we did, it does not get posted here. Its been repeatedly submitted and repeatedly rejected by us. If something slips by us, our readers rock and usually notify us of a problem and if we think it is a substantial problem, and not uninstalling is, we would remove it. As the others said, you have 2 choices, Ad-Aware and Spybot. These 2 companies, particualry Ad-Aware originally, helped define cleaning spyware as you know it today. The rest are all imitators copying an idea to get paid. Note that Ad-Aware and Spybot are both free (though Ad-Aware can be upgraded by paying), can be easily installed and uninstalled with no hidden agenda. Hopefully you will visit us next time you need tools now that you found us. :)

15. Telstars

Telstars Private E-2

AdAware is not free 2

Thank you for your comments. Press spytools and a list of downloading sites appear. Download the program. press scan and it scans.Press remove and it will not remove unless they are paid. Therefore it is not "free". Is this not so?

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

It depends on what program you are downloading some are FREE and some are NOT.... Majorgeeks give you that choice in their lists of software and as the Major stated they test each program before posting for download.

Ad-Aware 6 Standard ( or basic if you want to call it that ) is FREE to use and it removes spyware, I know I use it, BUT if you want to upgrade to a Plus or Pro version then yes it will cost you, the versions go like this

Standard
    Plus
    Pro

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/

their are a few good FREE spyware apps in this http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html list some free and some not.. such is life... but in the end its upto you what you want to use or pay for, I have 2 of the freeware apps in that list and they get everything my paid for one gets.

17. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You need to make sense before I can answer. Where on earth on this website is there a link called spytools? I cant find this program listed on our website. We can much more helpful if you help us by providing information. Multiple posts down, you still have been unable to answer the simple question was it from here? It really makes life easier if you read and respond to those trying their best to help you. Provide a link if possible. Then, download the truly free Ad-Aware or Spybot, as previously stated, theres no need to pay for a spyware tool, especially since the shareware ones are not as good as the free ones, and like most shareware, IS CRIPPLED in some way, thats how shareware works. Its a demo, to let you see if you like it. Its a marketing tool.

18. DavidGP

yea but he/she also said Ad-Aware wasnt free also and thats where I jumped in as mis-information is bad!

FYI only............
    as us old hands know a trial is generally a limited version of a peice of software and can either be unrestricted for a period or very limited.... commercial software always will be they want you to buy it at the end of the day.

19. Telstars

Telstars Private E-2

Spyware is not free

]Thank you for your reply.

Your home page. Spyware Tools > AdAware (Free)

20. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

are you saying that this whole thread has been about ad-a\ware

21. DavidGP

I really dunno now GLS... where am I?? Who am I?? :confused: ist one of those re-occuring nightmares..like pop idols!

I thought it was about Spy Hunter to start with ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1524 ) which isnt free and doesnt say so either only says 14 day trial

then Ad-Aware6 gets dragged in by its heals kicking a screaming!!! with the statment ITS NOT FREE 2.....

but we all know and 10178893 other downloaders ( http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html ) know its FREE......yes their are paid Plus and Pro versions but standard is FREE FREE FREE FREE.

I need a beer...want one GLS?

:)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  22. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

yes please how about making it a double JD ;)

sorry i just popped out to run round the block and bang my head against a few walls to see if i was dreaming this has got to be one of the dumbest threads ever :confused:

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Telstars, one suggestion:

Step slowly away from the crack pipe ;)

Crack is bad, mmmmkay?

24. HI there! this is my first post. I am very interested in this forum and joined so that I can read up and learn from the self proclaimed "geeks" :) I am not tech savy at all , I am a photographer and while I often only download templates and brushes and such from places that I pay a monthly membership to, this evening I found something really cool that I've wanted for a long time, seemed like a legit download, no survey or anything, and stupid ol' me decided to give it a go. WELL, I now have the qnote8 I believe its called virus. fun stuff here let me tell ya. So, I am running the program that this thread is talking about, the spyhunter and it says so far it has found 1335 threats and god knows how many actual viruses and its only 18% done. I have read here that it has you pay to remove these correct? So should I just stop the scan and use the free ones that you suggested above? I also have Kapsky and it is running a scan now, but I am concerned that it will not pick up and remove this qnote8 thing. Does anyone know if it will or not? I had decided on the spyhunter one because it said specifically that it detects and removes all traces of this particular virus. Can anyone here tell me if in fact the other free ones do as well, or if my Kapsky will? Just wondering if anyone has this information or if I should just be safe and pay the $40 to remove it. From what I have read it is a very bad one to have. Thank you in advance for any help in this matter I really appreciate your time in helping me. Have a blessed evening

25. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to Major Geeks.

This thread is from 2004, so most likely a lot of it is outdated.

Please refer to our Malware Removal Forum as that is where we help with all malware issues now. ....and specifically follow all instructions in this thread: READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker)

You should then post all your logs in a new thread in Malware. All further questions should be asked in there after you perform the steps above.

Btw, getting help in our Malware forum is free and much better than any one malware scanner. ;)

Edited to add: Doing a search online, I think SpyHunter may be a rogue program that you do not want on your computer. The company who puts it out there gets horrible WOT ratings: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/enigmasoftware.com I wouldn't go near it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds