Java applets aren't working

Discussion in 'Software' started by sighlentex, Apr 15, 2005.

1. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

I recently had to re-install Windows, and since that re-installation i've discovered that a lot of programs and things were missing. most recently i've discovered that java was missing.

i don't want to use Sun Java (yes i know the benefits, but i still don't want it), and i've installed "msjav86_3805" onto my computer. i went to a website that will test java for you, and it says that i've got java scripts enabled, but i still can't see java applets.

i already went to tools/internet options/advanced and put the checks in all the java spots, and rebooted.

i already tried uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling jvm/rebooting.

i'm at my wits end! ...any suggestions? (and may i remind you again to please not suggest Sun) :D

thanks

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Does this website test and support Micro$$oft Java, only Sun Java or both, and what site is it?

(I would suggest Sun :D )

3. spingmis2004

spingmis2004 Private E-2

I may not be of much help in finding a solution or replacement for sun java .. but can i know why do u dislike it so much

4. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

because the one time that i tried Sun Java, i had nothing but trouble. it would work at some sites, not work at others, and it seemed like i was constantly having to "mess with it." (i gave it a two-day run...and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!!) at least with M$ java i don't even THINK about it...its just 'there'...and does what it's supposed to do. (except for right now, which is why i'm here. lol)

5. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

sorry, Insomniac, i don't know how i missed your question. i'm going to attempt to PM you the answer to part of your question.

6. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

7. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

8. Anon-068c403e2d

What is your settings for
    1.Internet options>security
    2.Internet option>advanced>vm(scroll down)

9. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

i've got that set to "low"...i've had it that way for a long time.

i downloaded the tool (i'm on dialup, it took 15 minutes)...and it's scanning now.

10. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

i ran the scan...and i can't make heads or tails of it. you didn't say to post it here, but i will add it as an attatchment just in case. also adding an image of my settings for the previous question.

Attached Files:

11. Insomniac

You have the Internet Zone set to low?

Don't get a shock when you get infected. And it won't be if but when.

One other point you won't like, since Sun has beaten Micro$$oft over the rights of Java, some websites don't use Micro$$oft at all so eventually you will need Sun Java.

A lot support both, but that is slowly changing.

Also, some programs require Sun Java Runtime Environment or they won't install.

As this is a recent installation, now would be the time to attempt Sun, it really shouldn't be problematic.

12. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

i don't have the entire ZONE set to low, (i'm really not that stupid), the internet 'zone' has been set to custom with several things disabled or set to prompt. what i have set to low is the Java Permissions (as you can see on the image.)

as i said from the beginning i don't want Sun...
    the thing is, once i figure out what this problem is, it may be a YEAR before i have another issue with java. if i go and install sun java now, i'll be dealing with java issues EVERY DAY! i play games at several sites, and chat at several forums, and not everybody supports Sun. it's incredibly frustrating to not be able to get to these places because of the "great and wonderful sun java."

i like my java to be sort of 'seen and not heard'...i don't want it in my face all the time, sitting in my taskbar, or giving me grief every 15 minutes.

ok...i've ranted long enough. ...so i guess i'm still at square one with getting MS JVM fixed.

(edit)...and i'll have to deal with it later today, because it's 2:45 am and i'm getting a little cranky, so i'll go to bed. (and i hope i didn't sound like i'm biting your head off, Insomniac, i'm just REALLY frustrated.)

13. Insomniac

You said you had the Internet Zone set to low, so how else was I supposed to take that?

Anyway, that really doesn't matter. As far as having the Sun Java applet sitting in the taskbar, you don't have to. You can set it so you never see it again.

If you don't want to use it, then that's your choice, but I don't know how you will go about using sites that do.

14. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

that was the question he asked...i guess it was a two part question and i gave a one part answer...so that was my bad.

as far as me changing to Sun Java...that's got about as much chance of happening as me switching over to Firefox for my browser. i'm not much of a joiner...and i'm not on the "Micro$oft is bad" bandwagon yet. i still use Windows and not Linux...so i guess i'm just all around old-fashioned.

if i told you i still use MS 5.0 would you just fall out of your chair? ;)

lol..i don't.

15. Insomniac

I have only just started using Sun and still have Micro$$oft Java installed. I only installed Sun because some sites just won't work without it, and that's the point I was clumsily trying to make.

If you want to hold out, that's your choice, but I don't know of a way around it.

As far as the Sun applet in your taskbar, you can set it so you never see it again.

Goodluck with whatever you decide anyway.

16. Anon-068c403e2d

SUN JAVA NOT WORKING IN MY INTERNET EXPLORER

I am using opera and sun java and I have no problem.
    I just tried internet explorer and java doesnt work there.
    Your exact problem.

17. Insomniac

I have no idea what you are saying.

I have Sun and Internet Explorer and that site works perfectly fine, anyway the issue is Micro$$oft Java not Sun.

18. Anon-068c403e2d

What I am saying is that it may not be ms Javas fault.
    It could be some dependecies or settings.
    How can opera work and IE not?

19. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

it's starting to look like i need to completely uninstall java and start all over, but i haven't the slightest clue how to do it. i thought i HAD uninstalled it, but when i went back to uninstall it, a search of the word java pulled up a LOT of stuff on my computer, so it looks like it wasn't uninstalled at all.

i'm really hating this. i think i'll drown the neighbors cat.

;)

20. Insomniac

I don't know what it is you are trying to do?

21. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

i guess basically i need to COMPLETELY uninstall Microsoft JVM - and i learned that to do this i have to go to start, run, then type in RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall, and then i have several other small steps i have to take to make sure it's all gone. ...the problem i see is that i get this big, scary popup that says:
    so...what i'm fretting and sweating about is WHAT IF i download the MS VM, and then the MS VM that i (previously) downloaded doesn't work after i re-install it? ..i won't have the ability to download files from anywhere...so how would i be able to fix my problem?

...why can't this be simple? ;)

22. Insomniac

You've lost me, but bear in mind it's early morning here. :(

What makes you think that Micro$$oft Java isn't installed nor working?

It won't work on all sites because it's old and outdated, so may not be supported.

23. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

sorry, i'm frustrated and rambling a bit.

first, i know that it's not working properly because i can no longer chat or play games at sites i was able to chat or play games at as recently as last week. just for example, last week i played poppit at pogo, yesterday when i tried to play it, it took FOREVER...and another page came up letting me know that i didn't have java installed, with a link to a place where i can download it.

i used the computer at work today to access the chat that we previously discussed :p with no problem, but it won't load at all from my home pc. (i get the little 'placeholder' where the applet should be, but it never loads.)

...so back to what i was saying last night...it's not javascript that is the problem, it's java applets. (i don't know the difference, or why one works and not the other, but that's what that little 'test' site told me.)

(still rambling)

24. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

ok Mr. Insomniac Sir...i fixed it all by myself :D

i had to upgrade it to v. 3810...that was the only thing keeping it from working properly. ...i know it's working now because i can play poppit AND i passed the java test. ;)

however, all my icons in my taskbar have turned into artwork that Picasso would be proud of. ...but i think i know how to fix that. (edit: yep, i fixed it)

i think the only appropriate thing to do now is that you and i get married.

smiling and nodding :)

25. Insomniac

I would suggest Sun. :)

What did you upgrade to 3810?

26. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

the MS java VM.

...u know i am hurting myself trying to think of a smartarse comment to come back with about Sun...and sticking it where the sun doesn't shine...but i'm coming up with nothing. *sigh*

all that matters is my java is working properly again...and until i manage to foul my computer up again (which i've been doing with startling regularity lately)...it's safe. ...and so are you. ;)

27. Insomniac

Whether it's Sun or Micro$$oft Java technically shouldn't make much of a difference as Sun and Micro$$oft have reached an agreement where MS can use Sun's code and testing until the year 2007.

However, I would suggest Sun. :)

Goodbye until the next catastrophe which according to historical records should be any second now.

Better get off and let you start the thread then. :D

28. sighlentex

sighlentex Private E-2

oh you're not kidding...i've really got bad luck with my machine. i'll be upgrading from Win 98SE to XP within the next couple of weeks, so that should help. however, i'll be getting DSL next week, so that should help make it so that i can download viruses, trojans, and hijackers just THAT much faster. ;)

if this was a pay site, i would make you SO RICH! ;)

in all seriousness, thanks for your patience while i ranted and figured things out.

btw...thanks for the cockroach nightmares i'm sure to have :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds