Not the Same Old Sound Problem - No Audio Device / Plug and Play Software Device Enum

Discussion in 'Software' started by JeremyI, Feb 12, 2007.

1. JeremyI

JeremyI Private E-2

Hello everyone,

I just installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP a few weeks ago and have been without sound ever since. The Sounds and Audio Devices Properties says "No Audio Device".

Although I learned about the workaround involving copying machine.inf to another location, removing the "ExcludeFromSelect=*" line, and loading the driver using this modified file, it doesn't work in my case. Every time I try it, the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator reverts to being disabled.

When the Add Hardware Wizard is through, I get the message:

----- "The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly."

----- "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

I also get a Code 31 error in the properties for the enumerator. Can anyone help, please? Thanks.

Specs:
    HP Pavilion 734n
    AMD Athlon 2400+
    1.5 Gb RAM
    80 Gb hard drive
    WinXP SP2
    Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

2. JeremyI

JeremyI Private E-2

Re: Not the Same Old Sound Problem - No Audio Device / Plug and Play Software Device

At last!

Below is a link to the solution that finally worked for me when I was dealing with the "No Audio Device" issue (I had a Code 31 error "Windows cannot load the drivers" even after re-installing the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator).

The first time I tried it I was unsuccessful and I don't know where the hangup was. The second time everything worked perfectly! So, just a few things I'd recommend keeping in mind:

- Do back up the files that it says to delete, and create a restore point before beginning the registry editing steps.
    - Search all components of the registry--keys, values, data--and remember to highlight "My Computer" so that the entire registry is searched. Repeatedly choose "Find Next" until no more hits come up.
    - When I began the sequence of reinstalling the Enumerator, the Add Hardware Wizard automatically detected and re-installed my sound driver. I uninstalled the sound driver again (after the Enumerator was installed and before restarting), just in case.
    - I don't think there is literally a string "PnP software enumerator" anywhere in the registry. Try "enumerator", although I do not think this part is necessary.

Good luck!

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1106055897?s

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds