Start Faster

Discussion in 'Software' started by RE2LeonS, Aug 26, 2007.

1. RE2LeonS

RE2LeonS Private First Class

Okay I have a couple questions

1) Is there a way I can Recover my computer with deleting all the files that were previously on there?

and

2) Could you tell me what programs I can stop from making my desktop take FOREVER to start up?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Remove the hard drive and slave to another computer then use PCInspector File Recovery.

StartUplite ...on todays main page.

3. RE2LeonS

I kind of don't have another computer

4. TimW

You might be able to recover some if you do a system restore.

5. RE2LeonS

I don't WANT to recover, i want to delete everything

6. TimW

Recover after deleting all the files? If you have deleted system files....no. You'll most likely have to reinstall.
    Are you trying to wipe the drive so no one will access your files?
    Your question seems a bit vaque ....what files ...how do you expect to recover? What do you want to recover?

7. RE2LeonS

I want to delete any files/programs I have downloaded previously. I ant everyhting to go back to the way it was when i first bought it, no AIM or nothing exceptthe files it came w/

8. TimW

Then ...no. You can remove all unwanted programs ...delete files that relate to those programs.
    Do a format and install afresh (then set everything back up the way you want it).

CCleaner will clean off temp files, and uninstall programs for you.

9. RE2LeonS

Poo, could you tell me how I can make startup faster, I don't want EVERYTHING to start up but I don't know what takes it so long since i deleted a lot of things so I don't know what's making it so slow. I defraged it and instead of gaining memory back -_- I lost .3 GB's

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

If you can provide some specifications about your PC, it would help.

Check out my post #6, in
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=135845
    as a guide. Install EVEREST as per link provided in #6, and let us know your specs, so we can proceed further. Bazza

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Assuming operating system is Windows XP, there's no need to download a 3rd party app. Following these steps will get us an abundance of information:

1. Hit Windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    2. In the 'Run' dialog type 'CMD' (without the quotes)
    3. At the command prompt 'systeminfo >> c:\sysinfo.txt && c:\sysinfo.txt' (without the quotes)
    4. Attach c:\sysinfo.txt to a post.

Also, for instructions on speeding up startup, and general system performance, please see this link

12. RE2LeonS

Yes I am on Windows XP; however when ever I type this into the command prompt

systeminfo >> c:\sysinfo.txt && c:\sysinfo.txt

it tells me that it is not recognized >_<

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

UGH. Sounds like your PATH environment variable is messed up. We'll look at that, too.

But first, please replace the above command with this:

14. RE2LeonS

All right sorry >_< Right now i'm trying to get my wireless to work on my desktop again but whenever I insert the disk or click setup.exe it does absolutly nothing so i'm investiagting that right now

15. RE2LeonS

Okay when I copy and paste this:

c:\windows\system32\systeminfo >> c:\sysinfo.txt && c:\sysinfo.txt

into the command prompt I get another error saying it is not recognized

16. TimW

What all have you deleted?

17. RE2LeonS

Just things in the Programs folder that I know for a fact I downloaded, nothing in the Windows folder or that would affect the computer itself

18. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Jeez, I've been so busy today that I forgot that the system information was secondary.

Have you tried running through the steps I linked you to? That's all we really need if we want the computer faster (software wise. If it is still slow after THAT, you may have a hardware problem)

19. RE2LeonS

Sorry for stressing you out but I don't need the computer to go faster, I want the start up to go faster. It takes like 10 minutes to start up, after it's done starting up the machine is fine. But i'm checking out the thread to the 4th page on somebody elses website that one of the other mods posted

20. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The steps are for both.

21. RE2LeonS

Well I just disabled a ton of stuff and it doesn't really look like it's made that much of a huge affect. I notice these photo icon things in the corner that I installed w/ a camera of mine awhile ago but I don't think I saw them in the setup thing

22. TimW

If it is Kodak easy-share...then it will take awhile to load ...and it will also be wanting to check for updates as it loads...
    Maybe you should post a list of what is loading....:)

23. RE2LeonS

Oh! Quick Question! What would happen if I formatted everything on my main drive, just let it format. I'm using an HP Computer meaning Windows XP already came on there so if that deletes windows I won't be able to get it back on.

24. TimW

Didn't you just answer your own question?

If you format...everything is gone!

If you don;'t have an install disc ...or a HP recovery disc ...you don';t have an operating system.

25. RE2LeonS

Oh...well then I guess I won't be doing that! lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds