PC is shutting down randomly while gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by auzzy, Mar 12, 2011.

1. auzzy

auzzy Private E-2

Hi guys,

I recently re-installed Windows Vista 32. All updates are installed as of today. Ever since I seem to have this problem of the computer shutting down. It mainly happens when the PC is under-load. For example: when I'm playing Crysis highest spec(no AA), my PC runs it at about 30fps, no stalls or lags and then boom! Between 5-30 mins. The screen goes black, goes into sleep mode, starts up momentarily only to shut itself down.

Right, from a couple of days trawling through the net, I've come up with 3 options:
    Overheating CPU
    Overheating GPU
    Insufficient PSU

I've removed my side case and thoroughly cleaned the inside with a hair-dryer: nope didn't work
    Downloaded speedfan to monitor temps; Intel Quad Core q6600 2.4ghz peaked at 55 degrees celsius playing Crysis highest spec (that was the last temp I recorded because the PC shut down again!).

In case each time it had very suddenly peaked above it's thermal cut off(very unlikely) I removed the heatsink, cleaned the baffles, applied some thermal paste and ran it again. The peak temp dropped to about 47 after about five minutes of playing and remained steady and then boom again!
    My GTX 460 1GB peaked and remained steady at 68, which I believe from reading articles to be in range of the card.

I opened the side case to increase airflow....nope didn't work

PC specs: XPS 720
    Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 2.4 GHZ
    4 GB DDR2 RAM
    nVIDIA Geforce GTx 460 1GB
    PSU 750 watts

I'm stumped, normally I can figure this stuff out but I'm afraid this time it's got me!!

Am I missing something??

Any feedback would be great thanks and I appreciate your response in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

As you've recently reinstalled Vista, could you tell us why?

Inside your Windows folder, there's a file called setuperr.log, could you copy it to your Desktop, zip it and attach it, please - it'll tell us if there were any errors during the reinstall.

Have you updated the nForce drivers? From Dell or nVidia?

3. auzzy

auzzy Private E-2

Hi satrow,
    I reinstalled because last time I had the operating system it was riddled with bugs,performance issues etc

I have checked that file and it is empty, so I guess no errors?

I have already download 267.24 drivers from nVidia.

Also forgot to mention that this happened with my last graphics card, 8600gts, but not as often.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Check the ampage on the 12 volt rail of your PSU and see if it corresponds with ampage required by the Vid Card.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ok, sounds like the install went well :)

I'm suspicious of the PSU, is this the original one as fitted by Dell? If not, what's the make/model and what are the full (claimed) specs, they should be on a sticker on the PSU? (Toke seems to think this, too ^^).

When you try the machine without the case side fitted, it's best to have a room fan pointed into the case as well.

Can you check the windows logs in Windows Management? The System log will probably be most useful, if you can save the log as the default (.evtx?) type to your Desktop, zip it then attach it to your next post, I'll check through it for clues.

6. auzzy

auzzy Private E-2

Hi guys,

Ive only been on my PC doing some general tasks and it shutdown also. Started to think that maybe it wasn't psu/cpu/gpu, so I took a look at my drivers and I found that my drivers are a BETA release. And also my card is in the secondary PCI slot. Could these be doing it??

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Are you saying you have a SLI motherbord (slots for 2 vid cards) If that is so it really ought to be in the number 1 slot. Driver Link below.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I have searched and searched and I can find no reference to ampage required for your card even on Nvidia site, have you a booklet that came with it to see if it is referenced there. Then check the PSU as satrow said.

8. auzzy

auzzy Private E-2

Couldn't find power requirements in the booklet. I have SLI motherboard, I have changed to primary PCI and installed the previous driver and it happened again. Although this time I got an error message which I managed t write down:

(The instruction at 0x013c9606 referenced memory at 0x00000000.
    The memory could not be read.)

Could it be my RAM??

9. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

near as I can tell (and this is only second hand knowledge from surfing other forums) the min requirements for the GTX 460 is 26A and 450W if you can get the make and model of your PSU I can look for the specs online but I imagine a 750W PSU has at least 26A on the +12v, be sure both connectors are firmly seated in the vid card and if its a multi +12V rail PSU your using more than 1 of them for the card.

also check the power managment settings for sleep/hib/ ect ect, might not be a bad idea to clear cmos and see what happens, if you keep getting mem errors run a mem test.

10. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds