Top of the line LCD versus CRT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tarkus, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus Private E-2

I'm looking at getting either one of these:

LCD choice:

http://www.iiyama.us/default.asp?SID=&NAV=236&DOC=7608&PAGE=0&PCAT=2&PROD=2777&CE=undefined

CRT choice:

HM204DT from the same site (under CRT monitors).

Ignoring price (the LCD is obviously a lot more), which of these is the better gaming monitor? Are CRTs still better from a gaming persepctive? I've seen some less expensive LCDs and in IMHO they're not as good as the CRT here. Does anyone have a lot of experience with these types of monitors? Thanks for any inputs. :)

Tarkus

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

CRTs are still the choice for gaming. they have a faster response, wider veiwing angle, and in my opinion, a brighter, better color response. they also have much higher resolutions that flatpanels.

3. Tarkus

Tarkus Private E-2

DanTekGeek seemed pretty sure, but any more opinions here? Thanks. :)

Tarkus

4. Hal0_4ourt33n

Hal0_4ourt33n Private E-2

Having used both at different times, I can Say CRT is the way to go for gaming.

I have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 256, and had problems with the refresh on the monitor when using an LCD, couldn't run anything more taxing than Unreal Tournament (The Original)

Now using a 17'' CRT with no problems with UT2004, Doom 3 and HL 2

I would most definitely reccomend the CRT.

LCD's Are great for Solitaire and Spades.

5. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

it depends on the repsonse time of the monitor, i believe CRT's have a response time of 7 MS, but this monitor you are looking at is 20 MS. i have a 16MS monitor and i can't see any ghosting at all, if you are really woried about it, then i would try to find one with 12 MS

try this one

i'm willing to bet you will not notice a lag in games, AND the colors will be more crisp.

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Anything 12ms under I would say is acceptable. Nothing more.

7. Tarkus

Tarkus Private E-2

Thanks guys. From what you've said and I've read it looks like I'll stick with the CRT monitor. Appreciate the responses.

Tarkus

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds