Ipconfig

Discussion in 'Software' started by housiemousie2, Aug 17, 2006.

1. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

Oh hey!

I went to the hardware forum to post a question and then remembered another pain my virtual behind...

My ISP (via cable modem) gives me a new IP addy every day. The down side is that I have to do a back flip once every day to connect to the internet.
    You know the words... sing it with me!

MSDOS
    IPCONFIG /release_all
    IPCONFIG /renew_all

After I do that, works fine... until the next day.

I have tried different configurations in networking and no dice. I even had one of their tech guys come out, lol, that's how I learned the words to the IP song... and that was his idea of a fix.

Any help?

Thanks.

housiemousie2

Ooops, forgot some pertinate info...

Win98SE
    NetBeui and TCP/PI blah blah blah Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Obtain IP Auto
    Disable WINS Resolution/Use DHCP is unchecked
    Disable DNS
    Bindings: Client for Microsoft Networks
    Allow Binding to ATM/Vaule:No/Set this protocol to be default protocol is checked

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. theefool

theefool Geekified

What cable provider are ye using?

Using DHCP should have been checked not unchecked, since you are getting different IPs.
    Dns should be auto, or set to the ISP's dns servers.

Also, within win98, one can use:

START, RUN, type in : winipcfg (press enter). Select the network card, then do a renew. Handy tool for the dos handicappers out there.

3. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

lol Yeah, I have done that (winipcfg) I just preffer doing it the long way. **Beats head against wall instead of using a hammer**

I am using Cox Cable... well... it's now SuddenLink.

Figures, on the DHCP, that's how the tech left it. I changed it just now, but won't know if that helped until tomorrow when I try to connect again.

As for DNS, there is no auto setting on mine and I do not have the Host, Domain, blah blah info... yet.

Thanks, theefool!

The odd thing is that I did not used to have to do any of this. It used to work just fine. Nothing was changed on my end of things, I wonder if SuddenLink changed something when they bought Cox? Hmmm.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Perhaps they did. What a bunch of messed up IT guys and gals they have over there. Once again, on there note, if it works great now, why "fix" it your way, to break it for others. Sheesh.

Looking forward to a reply for tomorrow.

Are ye using a router, btw?

5. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

LOL SOOOO TRUE!

I will keep you informed.

That's a no on the router, just one lonesome little machine on here.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you still have issues, I know of a few winsock2 or tcpip....wait.

This started when cox got bought by that other company.

7. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

It happend durring, yeah... they sent out notices about the buy out a couple of months ago, but only last week (I think) did the TV adds change and the name/logo on my bills change.
    So your guess is as good as(no, wait, most likely better than) mine.

I will let you know if the one change worked, if it didn't then I will certainly be seeking another answer. I am not afarid to monkey with my machine, I tend to back up everything and have OS reinstallation down to a science. Funny, only took me twice to learn that I needed to save all my install exe's to a disk whenever I down loaded them. Most helpfull where firewall and spyware fillters are concerned. I can have them on before my machine ever touches the web... I like that.

BTW sorry about the epic kitty cat post. lol Can you say Long Winded? I knew that ya could.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I can type "Long Winded". :) No post is long winded, unless it is a gigantic log from HiJackThis, or some other log, that should be posted as an attachment...

Off topic, other than that, any info on cats, in my situation, is a plus.

On topic, you do have all the updates for windows 98se? Yes, Microsoft, has stopped supporting this OS (Operating system) But, they still, keep their site to download updates, for "new" machines.

9. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

Okay, changing the DHCP did not fix it. I guess I will have to muster up the energy to call them and get their Host, Domain, blah blah... perhaps I will get lucky and talk to someone who will know the answers to those questions.
    It's my dream, I can shelter it if I want to. lol

As for the updates, most of them, yes. I skipped over the ones that I don't need, like the umptygrump language thing-a-majiggers... and a few others that do not really apply to me. Like some fix for sound and IE... mine works fine, don't fix what ain't broken... lol, besides, I use FireFox every time I can get away with it.

I need to take myself to bed, late here and 4am is going to come way too early tomorrow.

Thanks again.

10. housiemousie2

housiemousie2 Corporal

I guess this goofy machine just needed an extra restart to figure out that I meant what I said/did, because the day after my last post it connected just fine and I had changed nothing else.

So thanks, theefool! it worked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds