Finding File Path

Discussion in 'Software' started by ttttbear, Mar 5, 2005.

1. ttttbear

ttttbear Private E-2

Does anyone know of a program you can put a file name in and it will give you the full file path it used to get to the file you entered?

Thanks

2. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Don't know of another program, but any program would have to do a search of your hard drive just as Windows Explorer does a search after you enter a file name. The search results from Windows Explorer show the full path to the file, i.e., the folder the file was found in. Depending on the type of file you're looking for you may have to change some Explorer settings before the search to make sure the file is displayed if found. I'm referrring to system and hidden files, and displaying file extensions, if the latter is important to you. Open Windows Explorer and at the top click Tools>Folder Options>View (tab) to see what is currently turned on and off and change them accordingly before executing a search.

3. sonicman54

sonicman54 Private E-2

I don't know of a program, but Windows XP has that feature kinda built in... R click on a file and go to properties. The target will be in the 'general' tab and if it is a shortcut, the 'shortcut' tab has a 'find target' button which will open the containing folder. Don't know if that helps, if not, there are gurus here that will be more help.

4. starlight

starlight Private E-2

This won't do what you want, but if you know where the file is, then it
    http://defoort.free.fr/clickie/

Don't know if this helps...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds