Cannot get past boot menu.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan_The_Man, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

So I was surfing ncix.com taking a look at their system builds and what you get with them when you customize your system, when my PC suddenly froze. The music I was listening to also "froze". This isn't the first time this happens, no, it's the second time, and the first time it happened I just sat in my chair, bewildered and witnessed the blue screen of death as I read something about a "memory dump" and quickly scanted to my tower and hit the power off button at the back.

So now this is two times it has happened. This second time however I cannot get past the boot menu on my computer. After I see the lovely picture of that green and red ball just above the A7V8X-X specs of my mobo, I get a black screen saying "hit any key to reboot". When I do so, the computer reboots, and brings be right back to that lovely picture of that green and-. I think you get the picture. Any thoughts on this? I thought it might be a memory problem or a PSU problem. But so far, I haven't come across a solution that works for me. I just took all the PSU wires out (Antec SmartPower II) and plugged them back in as well as re-installing my memory. Problem is, I can't even get the system to boot. It gets one little flicker of power, and that's it.

Any ideas?!?!!?

My system Specs:
    AMD Sempron 2300 Athlon™ XP 1.27Ghz
    ASUSTeK A7V8X-X REV
    PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-115F
    SCSIVAX DVD/CD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
    Seagate 60.02Gb
    Western Digital 160.02 Gb
    Sony CPD-E240 [Monitor] (16.1"vis, s/n 8005373, March 2002)
    Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440
    Antec Smart Power II 500w.

2. crazylegs

crazylegs Private E-2

If you have more than one stick of ram, I'd try one stick only, then try the other (by itself) and see what happens.
    Crazylegs

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Clearing the cmos might let it boot back up, unplug the power supply and remove the mother board battery for a few minutes, reinstall, and try again. Also when you are in there check to see if heatsink is dirty, and all fans are running, even psu fan. ed

4. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

About the watchbattery..I always thought that I if I'd remove that I would loose EVERYTHING. How true is that?

5. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Can't be a problem with the memory. I unplugged one of my optical drives (DVD-ROM) and poof, the computer boots up. Problem is, it doesn't go further than the boot menu, where I get that black screen telling me to hit a key to reboot. I get this same result whether I'm operating with my one Kingston 512, or it and my two OCZ 512 sticks. The mobo isn't dual channel.

Unless I get some other comments by the time I get back this evening (3-4 hours) I'll try the watchbattery idea.

This is such a spontaneous problem though..never had it before and it happened all of a sudden this morning.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

7. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

I know this sounds a little "dumb"...but how do you remove that battery? A needle isn't working and nor did a paperclip.

8. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

If you are getting it to boot dont worry about the battery, unplug both dvd;s, any extra fans, and see if it will go any farther. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds