Hidden Folders - Unable to Unhide

Discussion in 'Software' started by training4life, Dec 16, 2008.

1. training4life

training4life Sergeant

I have a problem regarding the folders at my C: Drive. I was attacked by a virus/trojan that is coming from my flash drive. The virus/trojan had hidden this folders and can only be viewed if I checked enable the View System Files. The virus/trojan has created copies of this folder into .exe extension but this problem is already solved.

Now, the virus was removed but still those files are hidden. I was adviced to post in here. Here is my previous thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=175186.

I have same problem with my flash drive and memory card. Can anyone please help me?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you format your flash drive and your memory card, the hidden files should be destroyed.
    Or if you can boot a live linux CD, you should be able to see everything on both your flash drive and memory card after they are mounted.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

My guess is that the virus changed the attributes of those folders to System and possibly Hidden.

Try Attribute Changer. It is added to the right-click context menu as "Change Attributes". So you would Show System Files and Hidden Files and then right click on one of the folders and select Change Attributes. Then in the window uncheck Hidden and System. [You only want to do this on the folders that would normally be visible like Documents and Settings, WINDOWS, Program Files. My guess is you do not need the recurse folder option checked.

The interface is strange in that there are 3 toggles/clicks not just checked or unchecked. The colored box means no change so you want either white unchecked box or checked box.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. training4life

training4life Sergeant

Thank you so much! That did the trick! :)

5. sach2

You are welcome! I couldn't remember how to change attributes using the command prompt or even get them to display using the Dir command. My memory tends to mix DOS and UNIX commands at whim leaving me with nothing useful. Thank goodness people write little programs to do things for us and give them away for free!

6. NeoVoidZ

NeoVoidZ Private E-2

sach2: I had the same problem and it worked perfectly!!!! :):):) THANK YOU!!! :')

7. sach2

Hi NeoVoidz,

Glad you got your problem sorted! :)

* I remember now that the command to change attributes manually is attrib. In case anyone wants to fix a similar problem manually but attribute changer works fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds