Should I continue to use Zonealarm or ....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dumbluck, Mar 6, 2005.

1. dumbluck

dumbluck Private E-2

... start using the firewall in my new D-Link wireless hug? I'm currently using the free ZoneAlarm on an XP Home machine. Does it make a difference which firewall I use?

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

isn't the firewall built into your d-link? it's not a software firewall is it? if not, then i'd run them both, as you'll have better protection. i have a 2wire modem/router, and it has a firewall built in also. - sos

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Correct! By running a firewall, you are running a hardware firewall. Zone Alarm, Windows Firewall are software firewalls, ie, any software you install. Frankly, I keep Windows Firewall on for an extra layer of security.

4. dumbluck

dumbluck Private E-2

Oh. I was under the (apparently wrong) impression that two firewalls running simultaneously would interfere with each other, similar to the way Anti-virus's work.

To clarify: there is a firewall built into my D-Link hub (not hug :eek: ), but it is currently not in use (as far as I can tell). Instead, I am continuing to use ZoneAlarm, which is running on my computer.

My head is hurting just thinking about configuring these two firewalls so that they don't interfere with each other...

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

As far as Security, it will do nothing to add security.

Router’s NAT Firewall protects you only from casual Hacking, and DDOS attacks.

Hackers are mainly after big cooperate systems.

Router's NAT Firewall does not protect you from:

Trojans and Programs Transmitting Info. from your computer out to the Internet, Viruses, Spyware, Bad Attachments, Browser Hijackers, Winsock Thrashers, Worms, etc.

More here.

Link to: Basic Protection for Broadband Internet Installation.

Link to: Internet infestation - Or, how you are getting Internet "Junk" in and compromise your Computer/Network?

Link to: Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk".

Even if you take all the security precautions mentioned above, there is also the “Junk” that comes embedded in the code of sites that you log to, and since you ask for it will get to your computer regardless of Firewalls.

Currently, as far as my Experience shows (this could be different in the future according to new releases of software and free availability of the current ones).

The Best Free Security suit for Windows might be.

Upgrade your Windows XP to SP2. and then use.

Free Firewall: Kerio v215.

Kerio is very easy to configure, it is light on resources, and does what need to be done.

Kerio has a newer version of the Firewall; do no get tempted stick with the above it is a better product.

Free AntiVirus: AntiVir Personal Edition 6.22.09.09

Has very high rating for detecting Virus, and does better then other Antivirus program blocking Trojans.

Link to: Microsoft AntiSpyb1

It was judged by many independent reviewers as the best of its kind.

The three above are always Running in the background.

:cool:

6. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

Wats wrong with the new version of Kerio.. thats what i use.., im trying decide if i should use Kerio, Blackice, Outpost, or Bitdefender.. i use Avast!, Kerio, Firefox, Ad-Aware, and Spybot - Search and Destroy..

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

True, 2 software firewalls. A hardware firewall works differently, they do not conflict. this is a rare exception. Do not run Windows and Zone Alarm though, for example.

Loifier, nothhing wrong with it at all, but he has a router, so his issue was if he needed a firewall (software based) anymore. I like Kerio, but Zone Alarm is my favorite.

8. Loufier

Loufier Private E-2

I have a router.. also my avast "supposbly" has a firewall aswell.. just wondering if kerio has any flaws in it.., kinda wondering how it compares too BlackIce and Outpost i can never make up my mind about security.. all differnt programs not sure which ones the best.. but i guess they r all differnt..

9. dumbluck

dumbluck Private E-2

umm, I'm beginning to get the idea that there is no concensus on this issue....

Vote for your option!

1. I keep using ZoneAlarm and forget that the router even has a firewall.
    2. I keep using ZoneAlarm and also turn on the router's firewall.
    3. I get rid of ZoneAlarm and start using the router's firewall.
    4. I turn off ZoneAlarm and forget that the router even has a firewall. I turn Window's Firewall back on. (or... not).
    5. I turn off all my firewalls and see how long it takes my desktop to become a zombie..... (NOT!!!)
    6. I turn all 3 firewalls on (ZoneAlarm, the router, and Windows). (uhh, overkill?)

edit: and I have a ROUTER, not a HUB, and not a HUG. (#$@& newbies that can't even keep their own hardware straight....)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds