Bad Hard Drive + Clone!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by benji99, Sep 12, 2006.

1. benji99

benji99 Private E-2

I've got a hard drive which wasn't booting any longer. It definately has bad sectors and I've used Recovery Console and got it to boot again. I am replacing it with a 320GB SATA drive. The drive going bad is a 200GB IDE.

Now, I am using HDClone 3.1 and it's fantastic so far. It looks as though it has come across 273 read erros thus far. This is only at 15% complete and according to HDClone, it has about 9 hours left on the clone.

Will the 273 read errors have a huge affect on the new drive? I did get Windows to boot again after the recovery and it seemed stable even though I didn't push the drive and tried to write to it much in fear it would crash again.

When the clone is complete, how can I make sure everything is in order? Do I just use all software installed and go from there? If there are problems, can I simply uninstall and install again the software not working? If windows is not booting, can I now use recovery console again as the new drive should have no bad sectors?

I know, lots of questions, however, I've not been through this and just want to prepare!

Thanks for the help!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If the os is unstable ...do a repair install to the new drive ...and yes you may find some programs unstable ...and may need to remove and reinstall.
    Run CCleaner for any lingering issues.

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Think of it this way: every read error is a potentially corrupted file. And the odds of successfully reading a bad sector on the original drive on a later occasion are low. But if a program runs from the clone, maybe you won't have to uninstall it and re-install from the original distribution disks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds