Stop one USB, stops them all.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ramage316, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I'm using vista business.

The problem is to with stopping devices before removing them.

I still do the normal procedure of stopping my USB flash drive using windows before removing the device from the slot.

However now, every time I select to stop the flash drive, my wireless usb that is plugged into one of the rear slots stops working too, forcing me to reconnect it.

All I want is to be able to select the USB memory stick, stop it, remove it and do all that without disabling my wireless connection.

Any ideas?

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Are you expanding the device list and just selecting the flash drive that you want to stop or are you selecting the top level device and stopping that?

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Left click on the USB icon and it should give you a list of all USB devices that are installed. Just select the one/s you want to delete. It works on XP Pro, I assume it is the same in Vista. Bazza

===

4. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I'm expanding it and selecting the drive that way. It still disables the wireless adapter.

5. bigbazza

Maybe a Vista thing? Anyone else please step in. Bazza

===

6. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

This is really getting annoying.

I have a wireless usb adapter plugged into my rear usb port. I have a usb memory stick pluged into my front usb port. Both work fine.

I then left click the safely remove usb icon.

I click the removeable storage drive (it's the only one listed) and pull out the usb stick.

My wireless connection then disconnects as taking out the memory stick has somehow stopped my wireless stick working too!!!??

This is so annoying.

7. xray

xray Private First Class

I have been using vista for about a week now. (Home Basic Version)

I found my 2gb usb pen drive hot pluggable with vista just as XP was.

I dont stop it or eject it or anything...

I just plug it in and unplug it without any problems.
    Also my MP3 Player the same.

Hope this helps.

Maybe its me doing it wrong?

Happy days !! :) :)

8. bigbazza

Can you borrow a 4-in-1 USB plug in doohickey (technical term) :D and plug both your USB wireless adapter and memory stick into that and see what happens when you remove one or the other. Try the 4-in-1 in both USB ports and see if there is any difference.

I guess you have already tried swopping your wireless adapter and memory stick around into the opposite ports. Other than these suggestions, I am lost on why it happens, Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds