SSD full?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by costac19, Jul 10, 2012.

1. costac19

costac19 Private E-2

Hi all at Majorgeeks:)
    My 128gb Samsung Sata 3 SSD is showing that it has used almost 80gb of space? Total 44.5 GB free from 119GB
    My currently installed programs come to 9.28GB
    Windows 25 Gb
    Users 10 Gb
    Total 45 Gb
    Where is the missing 35GB?:cry
    Have I set up my SSD correctly?:confused
    Any help apprechiated.
    Costac19:cool

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. costac19

costac19 Private E-2

Thank you plodr.

I installed windirstat and was amazed at the information it revealed and the graphical presentation was very easy to understand. It reveals every file and how much space it is using. Thank you:)
    Pagefile.sys is using 15GB and Hiberfil.sys 11.2 GB. Is this normal? My SSD drive is only 128 GB and windows is using another 21.7GB. 50 GB by windows alone!
    How can I recover some drive space?

Any suggestions would be greatly apprechiated.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes Pagefile will take up a lot of space. If you do not Hibernate the computer, you can turn it off. And yes, Windows can take up to as much as you are showing. Especially after installing updates & service packs.

5. costac19

costac19 Private E-2

Thank you Brownizs and Plodr:)
    I was wondering if I added another 128gb samsung sata 3 SSD in Raid will it show up as 250 gb? Also would I need to reinstall windows 7 64 bit? I do not know a lot about raid so any help will be apprechiated.:)
    Thanks Costac19:cool

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What you should do, is use the SSD for Windows, and use a conventional for regular programs. We have a 500gb in my son's desktop, and with Windows & Office, along with a few programs, it takes up over 130gb of space. That includes the Pagefile.

Now on the other hand, my netbook with a 64gb SSD running Ubuntu and a few programs, only uses 6.4gb, with 4.2gb in swap & boot sectors. Now you can't tell me that Windows is a hog when it comes to space use.

Also I use Spacesniffer on my son's Windows 7 computer, so that it gives me a better idea of what is going on. Very good program.

7. costac19

costac19 Private E-2

Thanks Brownizs:)
    My SSD is used for windows and all my media, music and pictures are saved to the HDD. I only have 20 gb of data on the drive. Windows is taking up far to much space!:( What do the pagefile.sys and Hiberfil.sys do? Can you make them Smaller? you wrote that if my PC does not hibernate I could turn off hiberfil "If you do not Hibernate the computer, you can turn it off" Hiberfil? Will this adversly effect my PC? How much space is good for Pagefile.sys and can you set it yourself?

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Shutting off Hibernate & it deletes the Hiberfil, will not affect your system. As for music, get a pocket drive. I got a Toshiba 1TB from Best Buy, for $90, which was the same price as a 500gb. If this is a laptop, you may have to go with both a pocket drive for files like music, etc, and the SSD for Windows.

If it is a desktop, you are better using the SSD for Windows, and a platter drive for everything else, until SSD prices start dropping, hopefully even further by this fall.

I just looked at my son's hard drive, and right now we are using 124gb on 459gb avail. on a 500gb drive.

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have 12GB of RAM, try reducing the page file to 4092MB min. and max.

Reduce your System Restore space to 4-5% instead of the default 12%.

With the hiberfil.sys removed, this will free up 20GB + of space.

SSD's perform best when they're empty - if you get over about 85% space used, performance will choke up. Try to keep in the middle of the range for the sweet spot ~ 50%. If you have room for a 2nd drive and can afford it, buy a 500GB HDD and move the 'special' folders to it, also create a 8GB page file there and also use it to install all your programs to.

If you have a slot for a memory card, use it - save your downloads there or use it to keep your personal data safe - you could always use a USB thumdrive for the same purpose. Don't forget regular cloning/backups will need space away from the SSD - especially if you need to update the SSD firmware at some point (always good to check for this regularly) - an external 2.5 USB drive of 500GB isn't so costly and takes little space to store away.

10. costac19

costac19 Private E-2

Thank you satrow:)
    I think I will leave pagefile.sys alone for now, but will turn of Hiberfil.sys.
    I already have a 500GB HDD installed and have set the My Music, My Pictures and My documents to save there.;)

I can afford a second SSD and was wondering how you set up a raid array?:confused
    Thanks costac19:cool

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I wouldn't with SSD's. Right now, SSD's are still a new technology, and there are still a lot of untested waters what is best that you can do with them.

12. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Probably little to gain for most users from using SSD's for raid unless it's for redundancy.

There should be a significant price drop on Intel's SSD's in the next few weeks, this might lead to competitors prices dropping too; could be time to consider whether a quality 256GB is reaching the affordable mark, considering that 256's perform a little better than their 128 siblings and that SSD's perform best long-term when they have a lot of free space.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds