ccleaner shuts down computer when I try to run it.

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Mar 28, 2015.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I'm giving a friend and old computer that he plans on having his wife use. It's an old single core that I had giving to me some time ago.
    I loaded panda free anti-virus and ran it with no problem. Then I loaded ccleaner on it and when I try to run it the computer shuts down and restarts. I've never had this happen before. Anyone know why this happens?

2. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

sounds like a virus is shutting it down had the same prob years ago ,try running in safe mode

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

It's an old Compaq Presario 6000 computer running Windows XP Home Edition.
    The system has the old AMD Athlon xp cpu the core runs at 1665 MHz.
    the motherboard is KM266-8235 with the 462 socket.
    It has 2 gigs ddr memory.
    The video card is a Geforce3 ti200.

I installed Panda free anti-virus and ran it (in safe mode). The only thing it found was 1 cookie and took care of it.
    Could there still be a virus that would let Panda run and not ccleaner?

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

6. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Well here's the head scratching thing. I was able to run ccleaner from the usb drive. Ccleaner finished and did it's job then Windows XP just shut down, However; the computer didn't turn off and I got a beep from the computer that lasted maybe a second or 2 then the beep stopped for a couple of seconds then beeped again. This was continued and showed no sign of stopping. I just turned off the power to it to stop and then it booted up normally. I got the same results every time I used ccleaner. Anyone know why??

7. Eldon

Run CCleaner. Click Options, click Advanced and ensure the box next to Shutdown after cleaning is unchecked. By default it should be.

BTW Does Windows XP have all the Service Packs installed?

8. abeha

abeha Private E-2

I installed Panda free anti-virus and ran it (in safe mode). The only thing it found was 1 cookie and took care of it.
    Could there still be a virus that would let Panda run and not ccleaner?

9. Eldon

This is not the way to start on the MajorGeeks Support Forums. :confused If you have a problem, post it. We will help you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds