Installing hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seifer699, Jun 4, 2006.

1. seifer699

seifer699 Private E-2

My dad just got rid of an old comp, but let me have some of the parts. He gave me the HD and one 128mb mem stick. How would i install the memory? I only have 1 more memory slot availble (and they are diff brands, and my original one is 256mb) . Also how would i install the HD (around 10GB)?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  2. 3GHz AMD Athlon

3GHz AMD Athlon Private E-2

the RAM, make sure its the same type and speed before you clip it in..

and if you want to install the harddrive into an existing computer, then you'll need to set the jumper on it to Slave and connect it via IDE and the molex power, just make sure the computer is off diring this time.

3. seifer699

seifer699 Private E-2

Kinda new to installing hardware, could you explain a little more about the second part of your post?

4. 3GHz AMD Athlon

3GHz AMD Athlon Private E-2

[​IMG]

i cant tell you to go by the actual diagram there, it varies between harddrive to harddrive, but the 40-Pin IDE connector need to have the long fat cable plugged into it, it SHOULD be keyed so it should be impossible to do it wrong, the 4-Pin Molex power connector is the same thing that your CD/DVD drive has,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds