Help Dual Ram - Is This Ram Dual Channel Worthy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Dec 25, 2006.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I have been asking for occasional help while planning and ordering my new rig. I have yet another need for assistance.

It seems I accidentally ordered only 512 megs of RAM for an Asus AN8-E. I meant to order two. This is what the invoice states:

512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR Certified SPD Memory Upgrade for DDR400 Motherboards

I had to modify my order and I think somehow they downgraded my ram upgrade. They rep did not speak English so well. I noticed to late so the only thing I can do is wait for delivery. I ordered two 512 sticks hoping for dual channel performance.

In the meantime I have two sticks of RAM from my old rig. The best I can identify them at the moment is the sticker located on the back side of the ram. They are marked as Atlas brand PC3200 DDR 400. Is that the same specs as the ram listed above? Or is it a lesser spec that will cost me performance?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

If I was to get a rep that spoke poor English I'd request another or call back

It's impossible to tell what memory you have from the little info you have posted

Memory even of the same Brand & type can be made from different chips supporting different timings.
    It's not uncommon for Memory manufactures to use different chips for the same Brand & model Memory sticks
    When ever you plan on using memory in a Dual Channel configuration it's always best to purchase your memory in pairs at the same time to insure you get two sticks of the same exact stuff or buy a Dual Channel kit which is two sticks of memory tested to run at identical speeds and tested for compatibility

DDR memory isn't what supports Dual Channel it's the MOBO & Memory Controller

You can look at each of your sticks of Memory if they are made of identical chips the marking's & identifing #'s will match

You can install each stick separatly then run Everest to check the SPD & or rated timmings you can also run Everest's benchmarks

Just remember when running different memory if your PC will allow you to do so the Memory will only run as fast as the slowest stick

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

FYI, AMD Athlon Socket 939 the memory controller is in the CPU chip

4. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Asus -

Thanks for the reply. Although I difficulty understanding the rep, we worked the changes in my order out. I think the error was a data entry error not my error. I did not notice on the revised invoice until the order shipped. It may be that I am reading the ivoice wrong anyway - we will see.

I guess you are right about the exact ratings of the memory - can't be sure until I use it and test it. I was just taking a stab in the dark. Is there a difference between DDR2 and and DDR?

If it ships with one stick, I will use Everest as per your suggestion.

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Ya DDR & DDR2 has one Big differance DDR is 184 pin & DDR2 is 240 pin
    Most MOBO's only support one or the other.
    There are a couple of MOBO's that have slots for both but you can only run one or the other.
    Here's bit more info on the differances, an old link, I dont think much has changed since http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/DDR_vs_DDR2/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds