Cannot connect to internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pozzydrive, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi Guys

First of all had problems with Antivirus Golden on my Brother-in-Laws laptop, plus many other viruses, spyware etc anyway did as I was told following MajorGeeks fixes, however now I want to connect to the internet to update all of the software e.g. Bitdefender, adaware etc but cannot, below is the history of his laptop.

Advent 7108
    Intel Celeraon M410
    Windows XP
    ISP is AOL with a wireless connection
    IE 7

I have no wireless hardware at home to enable connection so I loaded my own ISP (Toucan) with an ADSL modem, after loading and clicking on the icon it says it is connected but cannot get on the internet, keep getting a page with something about windows and a link, anyway no matter what I try cannot go to any other page, looking in network connections Toucan is enabled, local area connections has neither enabled nor disabled it has a red cross through it and cannot repair, the wireless connection is disabled, I tried running WinsockXPfix to no avail, can someone please help.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Hi Cat

Thanks for that but still not allowing me to go to a page, I ran winsoc again, then rebooted the laptop, then I ran LSPfix which I had downloaded from that link you gave me, said everything is working ok, although IE 7 has still got this address everytime in the address bar - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LINKID/74005

This happened before last week when I ran winsoc and then tried to connect to the internet, very same thing, so I had to do a system restore which worked, cannot do one now so there must be some sort of setting that has changed, I've removed probably most viruses and spyware from his system, so I do not think its that, he has AOL as his own ISP, I use Toucan.

On the IE page it states that the IE cannot display the web page although I know I am connected to the internet, I also have in internet options Google as my home page but will not display.

Just to make sure about any conflicts I've uninstalled all antivirus programs or at least attempting to Norton is being a bit awkward, anyway once uninstalled I will re-install only AVG and see what happens then, any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thankyou in advance.

Pozzy

4. Pozzydrive

Pozzydrive Corporal

Ok Folks

Managed to fix it myself I am now on the net using the laptop, I just uninstalled IE 7 and reverted back to IE 6, didn't much like IE 7 anyway, now have to resolve other problems so will go to the software section to ask my questions, thankyou

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds