Quick Tip: Check your motherboard CD

Discussion in 'Software' started by shorttex, Feb 19, 2009.

1. shorttex

shorttex Private E-2

Just a quick tip: you often have a CD (or DVD) with drivers, utilities and whatnot, as part of the package that comes with an OEM computer - that is, a computer that's not from Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.

Most motherboards these days have lots (of not all) peripherals built-in, and the standard drivers that come with Windoze may not work with some of the devices on the motherboard. If you have to reinstall the OS (as I did recently, grrrrrr), it's entirely possible that things won't jump up and boogie until you install the drivers from the motherboard CD. My recent re-install came up with no network interface, and my stupidity in not thinking about the drivers on the m/b CD led me to a good deal head-scratching (and screwdriver-wielding) before it finally dawned on me that maybe the Win XP Pro install didn't have proper drivers for the on-board NIC... once I figgered that one out, it was smooth sailing!

2. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

it's also worth checking the motherboard manufactures site for updated versions

3. shorttex

shorttex Private E-2

Excellent point - thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds