One DIM per channel? + please check my specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by claptrap, Jul 27, 2009.

1. claptrap

claptrap Private First Class

Hi! I'm going to build a budget pc with enough oomph for everyday tasks. I have a habit of having several office files/apps open at the same time but I'm more into retro and break time games than the latest and greatest. Hopefully this pc will allow some upgrade path too.

I usually start my build by choosing motherboard and I found Asus M4A78 770 Socket AM2+ in Ebuyer: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167128#

There is a quote in discussion of the product: "Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+/AM3 CPU for one DIMM per channel only. Refer to www.asus.com for the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists)." I don't know that much about computers and I am not sure what this quote means, the one dimm per channelbit?

Well, I went to the Asus site but couldn't find any reference to this board so I'm still in the dark about the QVL list, too.

Basically, I was going to marry this board with Phenom X3 8650 2.3GHz processor and of cheap (but stable) RAM. I guess any labeled RAM would do, as long as it is the right speed. I haven't decided yet what OS I'm going to go for except it's going to be Linux, but I understand they are all 64bit and love plenty of memory? I was going to go for 2GB but should I get more? How much is plenty without going overboard?

I think my friend mentioned of a spare Radeon 4800 series graphics card (4830 I think) I could have. As my old computer doesn't have a PCI Express connector, I'm also in the market for a new PSU, something like Pwercool's 550W offering, although it has only 1 PCI-E and 4 Sata connectors - less than the motherboard supports. Would this PSU be powerful enough?

Luckily I am perfectly happy with my CD-writer and DVD player, old and grey as they may be. :) Case? Well, the current one was designed in the times when passive air intake in front and a PSU fan pushing out hot air was adequate... So now I'm dreaming of getting a new budget case too! I don't care about looks but something adequate cooling and maybe with spacious design... Any ideas?

I'm trying to keep the whole build as close to £200 mark as possible without compromising too much of features (like eSata and Express Gate).

2. claptrap

claptrap Private First Class

Thanks for the fast reply. :) My existing computer has 2*1GB in 1 & 3 dimm slots, which are different colour to the 2 & 4 ones - are these the primary dimms?

As I understand it, with AMD processors I cannot take advantage of all of the four slots, so unless I can find 2 * 8 GB memory sticks I cannot take advantage of the maximum allowance? Then why do manufacturers crowd AMD motherboards with 4 dimms, or does this limitation only affect certain processors? Or are they hoping that maybe in future a firmware update will fix this?

I'm just curious at the moment, even buying 4 GB is pushing my wallet to the limit - but it would be nice to understand this and to know what are my chances of adding extra dimms later. Hmm, 16GB :yum Of course, I have lived quite happily with 750 MB ram (512MB + 256MB) and onboard graphics, so I expect some improvement, even if I cannot replace the onboard sound with a dedicated card just yet. I (I do have a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card but I suspectit being a bit old now, it's no better than the mobo's offering.)

Now I would just like to know if there are KMV cables with DVI switch, to make the most of the new technology, without losing my old computer?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds