laptop shuts down on battery power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jshr, Aug 9, 2009.

1. jshr

jshr Private E-2

My Dell Inspiron 1100 shuts down on battery power after 20 to 30 minutes. No error message, no blue screen, just shuts off the power. I replaced the battery and have the same results. The power meter shows that the new battery has only 35% power even though it has been plugged in for weeks. Should I not leave it plugged in all the time? Got a bad battery even though its new? or maybe sonething else? Help! and thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Either your adapter to charge the battery is bad or the connection on the motherboard to the adapter is bad.

If it were my laptop, I'd buy another power adapter and see if that allows the battery to be fully charged.

3. jshr

jshr Private E-2

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds