AVG Free 8.0 update site is down... AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Nov 17, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Seems to me that the AVG Free 8.0 update site goes down on a fairly regular basis. I just installed AVG on a clean XP install, and everything works perfectly (including internet/network access and Windows updates) except for the AVG updates. I've been trying to update for about 25 minutes now. Current time is 2:43pm Pacific US.

Anyone else having AVG update issues???

They really need to do something about their update servers. The fact that about one-third of the time I try to update AVG, and their site is down, is totally unacceptable.
    :mad :boxing :kissmy

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

Yup, same here. It must be maddening if you're doing some work on someone else's puter and trying to update the AVG. Try to keep your :cool though!!
    Just updated here manually ... and have it set to automatically update in the AM, prior to the daily automated scan.

3. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Had same problem a few times in the past week, what with that, and the fact that on the machines with slower processors, wireless USB connections, it tries to update before the machine is on line, and then shows inadequate protection in the system tray, I went back to Avast. I like AVG, but ease of use and a lack of ads is a consideration. I liked Avira also, but Avast is the least intrusive of the three, IMO. Had stopped using an antivirus for a time, after dumping Trend Micro half way through a years subscription. Old habits like using a Windows Operating System are hard to break, but you can't fault me for trying.

Compaq Presario 2100
    1gig Ram
    AMD Athlon XP2600+
    Windows XP Pro / PCLinuxOS

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, I know I have to relax, but it seems that their update servers are down way too often. Personally, I like Avira best, but so many people have a huge hang-up with that "buy the pro version" window that comes up once every 24hrs, so I don't install it. Avast has a few too many false positives for most people, and AVG is perfect for noobs (whom I deal with on a very regular basis) so I generally install it. However, now that Comodo has combined their legendary firewall with their decent AV, perhaps I'll check it out.

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

Thanks Mark.
    "AVG free" forums are manned by volunteers (seems independently from the paid versions) and many a time I've read that the moderators "hope that AVG will notice" the update problems and other glitches. Guess that AVG finally got the message. At least this time it looks as if they are working on it, let's hope so.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm responsible for my husband's computer which has AVG v8 on it. I simply told him that sometimes he might get a popup about an update failed and not to worry about it.
    Any other popups he gets when he is surfing, he was told to write down the message and not click anything just shut the browser.

You may want to tell your users that dlb. The next day, the problem with AVG will probably be corrected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds