Really Strange Vid Card Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AsureaSkie, Nov 25, 2008.

1. AsureaSkie

AsureaSkie Private E-2

Okay, I know there are other posts with similar problems, but none of the solutions for those worked.

While running some applications, my comp will randomly black-screen, the monitor will start saying it isn't receiving a signal, and it will become entirely dysfunctional. Music will continue until the end of a track. Rebooting cannot be done with the standard power switch, but instead must be done by flipping the switch on the power supply.

Here's the specs:
    Asus M3A
    8GB 800MHz DDR2 Corsair RAM
    AMD Phenom 9500
    BFG 9600 GeForce GTX (Have had similar problems with a BFG 9800 GX2, except instead of a black screen, the image would tear)
    500 GB WD hard drive of some variant, 7200 RPM non-variable
    Optical Drive
    ThermalTake 750W Modular Power Supply
    Multiple fans, including a 200mm, 3 120mm, and a 88mm fan in the case. Configured for positive pressure.
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I have confirmed that there is not a temperature problem (Everest records it as being around 50C across all components at peak), I have run MemTest many times on all sticks, and the power load is distributed across the rails on the power supply properly.

I took it to Best Buy (I work there, so $5 for a quick scan), and they found that there had been errors with NVLDDMKM.SYS. I did a full clear of all NVidea drivers and updated to the latest ForceWare. In the process, I went into Safe Mode and manually removed all copies of NVLDDMKM.SYS. This had no effect on the problem.

Any advice?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Be sure it's not your monitor or connection before you accuse the pc.

Does it do this with a different monitor / cable?

Are you running at a resolution or refresh rate unacceptable to your monitor?

Then check to see if your power supply is adequate for the various current requirements, you have some heavy duty hardware there.

Notice I said current requirements; power spec is not an adequate indicator of suitability.

3. AsureaSkie

AsureaSkie Private E-2

Be sure it's not your monitor or connection before you accuse the pc.

Does it do this with a different monitor / cable?

Will do. I have another monitor I'll check it with, but I'm fairly certain the monitor isn't the problem, given the computer-side symptoms (sound, problems with resetting the computer when the problem happens). Now, this monitor works fine on my older machine (though the AGP card in it shits itself when trying to run 1680x1050....), but I'll try my older monitor on this machine.

Are you running at a resolution or refresh rate unacceptable to your monitor?

No. One of the first things I checked. 20 in. HP (hp2007? Something like that? # is 2007, not sure of the letters) widescreen. Max res is 1680x1050, and that's what I run, 60MHz refresh rate.

Then check to see if your power supply is adequate for the various current requirements, you have some heavy duty hardware there.

Notice I said current requirements; power spec is not an adequate indicator of suitability.

BIOS is showing all the rails are operating within acceptable voltages for what they're rated. IE, 5V rails are showing 4.994V, 12V rails are 12.024V, etc. Basically, all within operating parameters. If there's something else I should check (I'm unsure about amperage, for example), or a way to check actual draw as I go, can you be more specific and provide a method? I've basically done everything within my - admittedly limited - experience.

I'd like to throw out a couple ideas that have crossed my mind. The first one is a crack in the soldering on the motherboard holding the connector for the video card. At lower temperatures, with contact normal, it wouldn't have a problem, but as it heats, the thermal expansion might create a gap? Pretty far-flung, but it's an idea. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to test it.

The other idea is if the PCI-E cords from my power supply to my graphics card are faulty, or if the rail they're connecting to is faulty. Unfortunately, I don't know how to check the voltages reaching the graphics card through that slot, but I'm guessing it's at least possible.

Final note, I can recreate the bug quite easily, depending on which program I run. For example, World of Warcraft will NOT cause this problem, even after hours of playing on the highest settings the program has in it. However, EverQuest II, TitanQuest, or, at least after the attempted driver fix, Mass Effect, at any setting level from the lowest to the highest, will cause it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't know what Best Buy are but did they use your monitor/cables or theirs?
    Were they able to replicate the problem on their monitor?

My remarks were rather cryptic because I assumed Best Buy would be able to help explain about the current.

Unplug you pc from the wall outlet.
    Open the case and look inside at the power supply box. This will have a whole raft of multicoloured wires coming from it.
    It should also have a label on it stating the max current available on each power rail.
    Note these down and post them here.
    We can then check these against your current draw for your hardware list, or you can ask your colleagues at BB to help.

5. AsureaSkie

AsureaSkie Private E-2

Their monitor, come to think of it. And yes, they managed to replicate the problem.

Ah, I see what you're getting at. I'll save you a bit of time on this one. Everything is within the rated capabilities of the PSU. I worked up the list of hardware and power requirements before I bought the PSU. Still, I'll get it and post it, just so you have the information. I was thinking more along the lines of checking actual output vs. rated output. A faulty PSU under-powering the vid card has crossed my mind.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds