Cannot reset winsock on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quazar66, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Quazar66

Quazar66 Private E-2

Having problems resetting winsock on a Windows 7 home x64 laptop. Machine got hit with a Fake HD crashing virus. Was able to clean it out using RougeKiller and ComboFix. TDSSKiller, MalwareBytes, and AV all report that the machine is clean.

The problem I am running into is that the PC will not get a DHCP address on either the wired or wireless adapters. When I try to reset the winsock in a command prompt (run as an Administrator) I get the following:

c:\Users\Jim>netsh winsock reset
    Access is Denied

I have run Tweaking.com's Windows repair and told it to reset permissions and reset the networking, but no luck. I also tried un-installing the NIC's and rebooting and letting it re-add them, but still no luck.

I also tried setting a static IP. It partially worked, but DNS would not work. When I would try a nslookup, it appeared to be only trying to use IPv6.

The "netsh int ip reset reset.log" completes successfully, but does not help.

Suggestions?

2. Quazar66

Quazar66 Private E-2

3. Quazar66

Quazar66 Private E-2

Phooey..Thought I was closer, but am right back to square one..

Cannot delete the Winsock registry key at this point. Even from safe mode...

4. Quazar66

Quazar66 Private E-2

Don't worry about this (I do have the logs if someone is curious).

Backed up the few files needs. Starting a full system restore

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds