Windows 7 64bit Freezing

Discussion in 'Software' started by hyperhtml, Aug 20, 2010.

1. hyperhtml

hyperhtml Private E-2

Okay, so I just freshly updated my computer, new cpu, motherboard, and memory. I formatted and installed Windows 7 64bit. The first load of windows worked fine, then I ran windows update.
    Then right after I type in my password, there is a 5-10 second loading, then it freezes. I restarted hoping it was just a single case, but it kept occuring. I am able to get into safe mode, I read numerous issues like this case, however no answers. I found one case where updating the BIOS fixed it, so I did that. My computer worked fine since that (1 day). Then while using it last night, it froze, and when I try to log back it, it freezes again. I suspect a driver issue, however I believe I have the latest drivers for anything.

Computer Specs:
    Power Supply: Ultra LSP650 650w
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 512MB
    Processor: i5-750
    RAM: DDR3 1333 (2 x 2GB)
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3

Also, I should note, that I had a similar problem when I built a computer for someone else, with this same graphics card. He bought a new graphic card and that issue went away. I am now using that graphic card, could there be relevance?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has some input as to what I can do or as to a solution. I'm not sure what other details I can provide.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I think you need to rule that out.

3. hyperhtml

hyperhtml Private E-2

Ill throw in another graphic card shortly and post up the results. I was hoping that isn't the issue as its a new card.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Also as well as testing another GPU card, I would also be troubleshooting your starting applications, and as the PC works in safe mode ok, it could be one of them, so use msconfig and in the startup tab disable all, then reboot, then if ok enable one at a time and reboot until you start getting the freezing and that last app is likely your culprit.

Please name all security apps you have installed as a duplicate ones like two firewalls or AVs can cause freezing.

5. dee2too

dee2too Private E-2

I have had several problems like that. Every case involved something not set right in the BIOS. Most times it was timing, in particular the timing multiplier of the CPU. One was a default that listed the graphics as PCI, not PCIe. Several times the BIOS changed the timing back to overclock on its own. One thing I have noticed when installing a new motherboard is that the battery might not be fully charged for a week or so. Changing the battery can sometimes make an amazing difference.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds