Hard drive names change on Win XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by bick20, May 31, 2004.

1. bick20

bick20 Private E-2

One of my hard drive names has changed from D: to F: on my PC and this is causing problems.
    My drives now are:
    C: (NTFS)
    F: (NTFS)
    H: (FAT32) (a USB drive)
    E: DVD drive
    D: DVD-RW
    G: Removable disk
    A: diskette drive

I have a HP Pavilion running Windows XP Professional with an AMD Athion-PECM chip 906 MHz and Phoenix BIOS.

The config used to be
    C: (NTFS)
    D: (NTFS)
    F: DVD-RW
    H: (FAT32)
    and I don't remember what the removable and DVD drive letters were.

The problem is that because on limited disk space on the C: drive, I started loading programs on the D: drive but now those programs and links are looking for info on the D: drive (that is now F:)

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Welcome to MG :)

You can use Disk Management to do that pretty easily. Refer to this article for how-to details:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307844

What you wanna do is remove the D: assignment from the DVD-RW, then change the NTFS F: assignment to D:, and then assign F: to the DVD-RW to complete the swap. You'll have to reboot once or twice during this process to free up the drive letters.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds