XP to XP.. used to work..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krikfix, Jan 31, 2005.

1. krikfix

krikfix Private E-2

Hello all. Grr. Can't join two XPs on Network. Frustrating thing is it used to work. Hope someone can help. Running low on hair to pull out, and my housemate is threatening to stop our Broadband connection. In this day and age, should we persistently be manually walking internet connections upstairs and down..? Anyhow, the problem as I see it:

Two XPs. when we run the 'set up a home or small network' thingy, I get stopped by a not very helpful 'Cannot complete the Network Setup Wizard' followed by 'Other computers cannot connect to the Internet through this connection.. In addition to its internet connection, this computer must have a connection to your network'<end quote>.

Furthermore, where there was once a setting 'enable file blah blah something something sharing', underneath the Windows Firewall setting in Properties there is an empty space. I suppose this may be key..? Anyone know how I magically make this reappear?? If you do, and can and will, I will be hugely grateful. Many thanks for your time if you've read this

2. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

How exactly is your network setup? Are both PCs hooked into a switch?

3. krikfix

krikfix Private E-2

Hello. CPU's connected by ethernet cable, cpu to interent via USB..

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Step One: If you are connected directly computer to computer via the Network Card, you need to get Crossover CAT5e cable. Go to a store and ask for Crossover.

Step two: With Windows ICS Off configure and make sure that you have a Network between the two computers.

May be this can Help: Windows Network - Installing & Sharing.

Step 3: Once you are sure that you have a network Switch On ICS and configure Internet Sharing.

Link to: Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).

:cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds