Recovery disc - failure to read

Discussion in 'Software' started by CyrDraconis, May 11, 2005.

1. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Private E-2

Wound up getting a used system box to replace the one with the blown motherboard - Dell Precision 220/256 mb RAM/30GB HD, with a blank hard drive. I'd intended to use my old ME recovery discs to get at least a bare-bones OS on the system, but once it loads the CD driver and recognizes the hard drive, it just sits there. After this:
    it just sits, blinking cursor, no disc or HD activity/

Tried various boot floppies; everything there comes up with a Non-System Disk error no matter how it's formatted.

Any thoughts?

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Can you not set the bios to boot from the cd drive and just boot and install the OS from your OS CD??

Roger

3. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Private E-2

That's what I'm trying to do! The CD is at the top of the boot order; after it hits hte point quoted above, it just sits there blinking away.

What worries me more is the Non-System Disk errors off the floppy drive - I've tried six different boot disks, and nothing works.

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

After re-reading the question, i'm adding on a bit...

Is your bios set to boot from whatever drive you want to boot from?? Otherwise it will keep bouncing around from Floppy to Cd to hard drive until it finds a boot record!!

By looking at your quote...the bios is only recognizing one drive!! Whatever drive it is recognizing (which looks like the cd-rom drive)...there is a disk in there that you cannot boot off of!! We need to figure out why it is only recognizing one drive and not the CD, Floppy, and the Hard drive!!

Also is the Hard drive an SATA drive, or is it just a regular ide drive??

Roger

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Sorry for the confusion here...but have you cleared the CMOS and tried again??

Whenever you put a proccessor into a board, you have to clear the CMOS!! I strongly recommend you do this by removing the battery, with the power unplugged!! Don't trust the jumper!!

Roger

6. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Private E-2

Standard IDE, 30GB. I'm afraid I'm a bit confused by your other question; the boot order is CD --> Floppy --> HD --> Intel UNDA, PXE-2.0 (build 071); though I have no idea what that last device is.

[Edited for other post]
    It's not a new processor, though! What good will clearing the CMOS do?

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Is this a Windows ME disc from Microsoft or is it a recovery disk from a computer manufacturer?

8. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Private E-2

*facepalm* It's an IBM recovery CD that I'm trying to use on a Dell machine. I think I may have just starfished myself.

The glitch with the floppy stills bother me, though....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds