No Device Found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shootin499, Mar 23, 2008.

1. shootin499

shootin499 Private E-2

Hello,

I have checked the other threads that have similiar issues but still can't get my sound to work. I've talked to Dell even. I'm really hoping you guys can help me!

I'm using XP Home, SP 2. My sound worked fine until one day it just stopped working. Under Control Panel>sound and audio>volume it says "no audio device". Under the audio tab, the default device is grayed out. I have checked under device manager, everything says it's hooked up and running fine. I have downloaded the latest drivers and get the same result.

I was told it might be the sound card so I bought a new one and installed it. I still have grayed out for default device, but the "sound recording" and "MIDI music playback" show my new sound card in the pulldown menus.

Please let me know if there is any other information you need to know. This is my last option before using my Dell as a boat anchor!

Thank you very much for your help.

shootin499

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

well, i don't know it it will help or not. have you tried removing your audio drivers from device manager (sound, video and game controllers), and rebooting? it should reload the drivers on bootup. what m/b do you have what audio do you have (ie - realtek, etc)

with your new soundcard, do you still not have audio? did you move your speaker connections to the new card? what brand card? what all have you tried?

should you try what i said above, i'd uninstall your soundcard software, your soundcard. bootup, then try what i said above (of course you'll have to reboot). g/l, sos

let us know what happened (good or bad), and any error messages.

3. shootin499

shootin499 Private E-2

well, i don't know it it will help or not. have you tried removing your audio drivers from device manager (sound, video and game controllers), and rebooting? it should reload the drivers on bootup.

Yes I did this and it didn't help.

what m/b do you have what audio do you have (ie - realtek, etc)

As near as I can tell the m/b is just listed as a Dell. Model OCF458. Where else might I find the m/b info?

with your new soundcard, do you still not have audio? did you move your speaker connections to the new card? what brand card? what all have you tried?

Yes to all of these questions. It's listed in Device manager as "Creative SB AudioPCI (WDM)"

should you try what i said above, i'd uninstall your soundcard software, your soundcard. bootup, then try what i said above (of course you'll have to reboot). g/l, sos

I did do all of that before installing the sound card. I put in a new sound card when none of the above worked.

let us know what happened (good or bad), and any error messages.

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

sorry, so from what i'm gathering, is that you still don't have audio? you can go to the dell site to look for drivers (you should be able to get your audio driver), manual, etc. i don't know if it will specifically (sp) tell you your m/b, but you could always pop open the case and jot down any info.

if you removed your drivers, rebooted, shutdown, installed soundcard, and you still don't have sound, then i don't know what's up. i take it your speakers are good.
    but, you also mentioned there were errors in device manager. i don't know. i'm sure others will come around. i'm just trying to clarify things. - sos

edit - did anything happen when your sound went out? did you install any new h/w, or s/w? or did it just go out all of a sudden?

also, have you tried reinstalling your audio drivers from the dell site?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  5. shootin499

shootin499 Private E-2

Unfortunately yes, I've tried all the things you mentioned. The speakers do work on another computer. I tried getting the drivers from Dell as well, and they're current.

There are no errors within the device manager. Everything says it's running correctly.

There was no install or anything that was done when the sound went out. It just happened.

The computer sees the new sound card. I just keep seeing "no device found" in the control panel.

Hoping someone has some ideas...

Thank you very much for helping me.

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Have you checked to see if your Windows Audio Service is running?
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

Also check in Control Panel, is there an icon for your SoundBlaster? Make sure it is set as the default device and that digital is NOT selected.

7. shootin499

shootin499 Private E-2

Yes the audio service is on auto and started.

Where would the Soundblaster icon be in Control Panel. In the Sound and Audio? At any rate, I don't have a Soundblaster icon anywhere. I checked Device Manager for it too.

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

My mistake, look for Creative Audio Console in your Start Menu>All Programs Make sure SB is chosen as the default audio.
    Also, right click the volume icon in the task bar, choose Adjust Audio Properties, Advanced Speaker Settings, and make sure your speaker type is chosen.

9. shootin499

shootin499 Private E-2

Ok, Under All programs, I have a "Creative" folder. Within that folder is the following folders
    "creative wave studio"
    "Product Reg"
    "Soundblaster PCI" (within this folder is a creative mixer.)

I cannot right click on the volume icon in the menu bar because it's not there. Under control panel/sound and audio devices, that option is grayed out because there is no sound device found, therefore speaker settings are also grayed out.

Which kind of brings me back to square one, it seems... *sigh*

I appreciate all the help. I hope we can nail the problem...

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Two things that I found that might help. (Are you getting tired of hearing that?) LOL
    Open the Control Panel and open Add/Remove. Under Windows Setup find the Multimedia option. Open it to see exactly what is setup on your machine.
    If the volume control is checked it is installed. You can add it by checking it's box.
    DO NOT change any other feature anywhere (unless you want to add or remove it). Click Apply and have your Windows CD handy.

If it is there go back to the Control Panel and open Multimedia. On the Audio tab make sure that the box next to Show Volume Control In Task Bar is checked. Click OK.
    If the speaker does not come up at once then you have s software conflict. You may have to uninstall the soundcard software (through Add/Remove) and try again.

You might have a bad or corrupt winmm.dll. You should be able to extract this single file from your Windows CD and replace it.

11. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

the only thing i see in control panel that is related to creative (sblive), is "audio hq". of course if i click on "sounds and audio devices", it says "sblive wave device". are you sure sblive is listed as your default device (link below)?

musksnipe, i couldn't do this, am i missing something, or did you leave a step out?

Attached Files:

12. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

doh, on my other comp it says "device control" in control panel (sblive 24 bit). - sos

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@sosaman,
    Originally Posted by musksnipe [​IMG]
    Open the Control Panel and open Add/Remove. Under Windows Setup find the Multimedia option. Open it to see exactly what is setup on your machine.
    No, i don't think so. I just got a chance to look through my wife's XP stuff and I can't get there either. I usually check these type of things out before posting them, but wasn't able to do that yesterday.
    I've seen that same path before, so someone out there can do that. Maybe we both have our systems set up different.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds