Cable modem MAC address change?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by children_of_the_grave_78, Aug 11, 2008.

1. is there any way to change the MAC address of a cable modem?
    i am doing it for honest reasons...

i am already paying for internet and i need to have two modems......

to make things simpler.

the one that needs to be rewritten is a motorola surfboard SB 5101

if it isn't possible, is there any way to put this modem to use?

or some type of external device to fix this?

thanks in advance....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. nevermind

this process is impossible

i'll find some other way to fix my situation

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

MAC Address -- Not to be confused with a MAC (or Macintosh) computer. MAC stands for Machine Address Code, which is a unique normally hexidecimal number that each piece of networking hardware has assigned to it. It might look something like "00-08-74-4C-7F-1D".

Cable internet providers often restrict the cable modem (your Motorola) access to the first MAC address they find which is often your computer (the XP machine). Any other device subsequently attached to the cable modem is denied service as a metod of preventing people from stealing internet access. Often when you go to install a router after you've had a PC attached, it won't work.

The normal answer is called MAC address cloning which most routers support. When the router is first setup, you connect it to the PC, allow it to clone the PC MAC address, and then when connected to the cable modem, it never knows the difference.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds