Cleaning a Razer Deathadder

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by askantik, Mar 15, 2011.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hi folks,

I have a Razer Death Adder and it's pretty much my favorite mouse of all time. However, it's about a year old and apparently gunk is underneath the buttons, which is causing problems when I need to be "precise" with clicking, like in Photoshop or playing Call of Duty. I did some Googlin' and found a chap on YouTube that popped the top off his Death Adder in about 3 seconds and then just cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs.

Then at the end, he says there's more than one version of the Death Adder and some of them aren't that easy to take apart. He said maybe others require removing the mouse feet and there are screws there...

Now, I'm not surprised to learn that with my great luck, I got a variant which is a PITA to clean. The problem is that I can't imagine Razer would make it that difficult to clean a mouse. Plus I'm worried that if I remove the mouse feet, they won't adhere back on. I've also searched the product manual and Razer FAQ's to no avail. I figure someone here on MG has to have one of these things, too...

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Don't shoot the messenger, but it appears you've answered your own question.

Unless you can get specific disassembly instructions for the model, version and serial # you own, you're rolling dice on whether you'll be successful in taking it apart and reassembling it or end up trashing the mouse.

If the gunk is visible in the spaces between the buttons, you may be able to remove what's showing using a very thin piece of wire and/or a can of compressed air.

Another thought: Is the Death Adder still under mfr. warranty? If the buttons are sticking and there are no obvious signs of abuse, it should qualify for an RMA replacement. This might be worth checking into.

Hope this helps. :)

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

It's not under warranty anymore :( I wasn't able to find disassembly instructions, plus even then I'd still be worried about the feet not going back on... Don't want to spend $10+ ordering new feet to fix a mouse that was only $45. Thanks for the tips, I haven't tried compressed air, and that might just do the trick.

I'm still not sure why they'd make one version really simple to clean and not others :p

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I actually just found a different YouTube video of disassembly... with some high-res pics of the underside which allowed me to confirm it's the same version as mine, so I have that if the compressed air doesn't work. So I guess my question is solved :p Thanks!

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

One more "Hail Mary" possibility on the warranty issue:

If you purchased it using a MasterCard, Visa or AMEX (and still have the receipt), some card issuers add an extra year's warranty. If it isn't more than one year past the mfr's warranty end date, call your credit card company and see if this applies.

6. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

Be careful if your going to be near the fangs, those "deathadder's" can pack a nasty bite :-D

on topic, in extreme situations where I couldnt take the mouse or keyboard apart to clean it and it wasnt working and i had to have it I have in the past unplugged it and poured rubbing alcohol over the effected area while clicking the effected buttons then used compressed air to blow it out and dry it, if you do this be sure you have it completely dried out before plugging it back in

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Adding to this thought, if you use rubbing alcohol, go to the drug store and get 91% - it will evaporate faster since it's only 9% water. Standard rubbing alcohol (51% or 71%) will dry slower and is more likely to leave residual water on the connections.

8. jim45682

jim45682 Private E-2

good idea, I just used what ever I had in the bathroom at the time but allways did it before i went to bed and left it sitting with a fan blowing on it while I slept, but if you needed it right away the 91% stuff is a good idea

9. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I was just going to post this! :) You really want 90% or just below for cleaning out your mouse.

Also, if you have a girlfriend who truly loves you and understands your love for the Razer, ask nicely if you can borrow a long, thin make-up brush (or go to a hobby store and buy one of those "natural hair" thin painter's brushes ;) ), and use that to get into every little crevice and corner of the mouse and dust things out.

I have a few eyeshadow brushes that are just horrible for applying make-up (that is probably why they were so cheap) but they are fantastic for cleaning electronics, particularly mice, keyboards, power supply vents, CPU heat sinks, and so on. Be careful of using brushes on an actual component inside a computer by the way, they seem to generate static... :eek Or just dip them in the rubbing alcohol first. :)

10. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you don't (or she doesn't :cry), you can usually find these at Dollar Tree, 99 Cents Only, etc. near the ultra-cheap makeup - just don't get ripped off by paying a fortune at the drug store cosmetics counter.

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Heh... then you should see the price tag of actual good brushes. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds