CD - no disc in drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bg9208, Aug 7, 2011.

1. bg9208

bg9208 Private First Class

Hi, I am running win xppro sp2 and have just started experiencing a problem with my CD?DVD RW drive.
    I can stick an existing data disc in the drive with no problem but when I load blank medie, I have tried different types, I get the message "No disc in drive- Insert writeable media".
    I have tried uninstalling in device manager and rebooting but no difference.
    I have searched Microsofts knowledge (sic) base and nothing they suggest makes any difference.
    I had a similar problem a few years ago and somehow managed to fix it so I know it is possible.
    Help and guidance would be appreciated

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Scroll down to Troubleshooting specific errors. Yours is the first error listed. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324129

If you try Method 1 in the Advanced Troubleshooting section and it does nothing, perhaps the burning laser is shot. To see if that is the case, borrow an external burner from a friend, pit in one of your blank CDs and see if it will write.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds