Has anybody seen my old friend Outlook Express?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I had Win 7 installed. Did use XP.
    My mail was OEx, which I understand is no longer part of Windows, and no longer supported.
    Is there a way to retrieve my mail from OEx and merge it with a new mail server?
    Evidently it did not occur to the tech to save my email.:cry
    Sarge

2. eblonk

eblonk Private E-2

My quick solution would be install the virtual XP on Windows 7 and see if that works. That will depend on your permissions to install and a few other things but I think that gives you access to Outlook Express.

3. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Message precedes dodwnload instructions, states:
    Make sure you're running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate.
    I have home premium.
    Message also states Virtual XP not likely to run in any other version of Win 7:(

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

So, do you no longer have the Windows XP computer? If you no longer have it and you had you email set up as POP/POP3 email in OE and you had OE set to delete messages from the server once downloaded to OE, then your mail is lost. So, let us know whether you still have that Win XP system and whether it is still operable.

5. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Thanks for reply.
    I am still using the computer I had XP on, and Win 7 is now the OP.Don't know if XP is still operable on it,.

Sarge

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Your Outlook Express emails were stored in a set of files with the filename extension .dbx. In all likelihood these files were stored on the XP partition, and as that has now had Win 7 installed to it the files will probably have been overwritten. However, just in case the tech actually took some action to save them elsewhere I suggest you install Everything and once it's up and running type .dbx in the search field at the top. If those files are anywhere at all on your computer that will find them and we can then help you recover them into an email client.

7. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Talked to tech that installed Win 7, he said everything was loaded.
    Went to HD (C) typed .dbx in search box, after few minutes message stated nothing found.
    Explained to tech I could have saved his fee and screwed up changeover myself.
    Sarge

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  8. Earthling

There was a reason I suggested Everything rather than just using Windows search. It was possible that there are other partitions on your disk and the tech might have saved them there. Just searching C would not find them, searching with Everything would. But as you have spoken with him that doesn't sound to be the case though.

It's appalling, but the same goes for every trade, rip-off merchants everywhere. It pays to learn a bit about computers yourself.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Worst advice ever! If the user has had a new OS installed the old will be overwritten, so any data will be gone so a VM is useless as its standalone and not tied to the original OS unless you can network it to another OS via RDP, possibly an upgrade is fine.

What Email service are you using now? Live Mail, Outlook etc?

Do you have the .dbx file still?
    If not then then OE does not really save data to the cloud as other email services do.
    If you have the .dbx then Windows Live mail can import those files.

10. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

What Email service are you using now? Live Mail, Outlook etc?

Went over to Outlook hoping it would be similar to OEx.Now I have to go find it. Thought it would install an icon/shortcut. It didn't. Sent myself a test email, it came back undelivered

Has anybody seen my old friend Outlook Express? is brought to you by Morton Salts Co. WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS.

11. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

We need to be perfectly clear on a point here. Outlook.com is a website operated by Microsoft and it is specifically for email and Outlook.com email is normally accessed via web browser. Microsoft Outlook is software installed on your computer, just as Outlook express is software installed on your computer.

So, are you talking about Outlook.com or Microsoft Outlook, the email client component of Microsoft Office?

That indicates you made a mistake in the email address. Not having an email client (Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook, Windows Live Mail, etc.) installed on your computer will not cause an undelivered message when an email is sent to a valid email address, even though the email has not been retrieved or viewed by the recipient. The email will simply reside on an email server on the Internet until you retrieve it.

12. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Belarc lists Microsoft - Office Outlook Version 12.0.4518.1014 as in my computer
    It does not show Outlook.com, which is what I thought I loaded believing it to be like OEx.
    I need an email account. OEx had problems, but it worked for me pretty well.
    What I do not need is more problems which is what seems to be happening.
    I do not relate to computers, tech wise. I liken my old brain to an early model hard drive that skips and jumps, and has areas with glitches. Could be what an Army career does to the brain, don't know.
    Sarge

13. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I was surfing Win 7 and came across an OEx file in office. Went to open it I got msg MSVCR80.dll missing.
    Looked that up and found some repair and some install programs.
    Could that be my missing email? Do I repair or install the prograam?
    After all this, I am gun shy about loading something I know nothing about.

Sarge

14. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

15. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Hope this gets picked up.
    I was having such difficulty trying to retrieve my OEx mail when I installed Win 7. Learned after the fact OEx does not work with 7. So I took out Win 7 and reinstalled XP.
    I downloaded OEx using my old address and PW, but got a new account instead.
    Is there a way to retrieve my old account, or did I go through all this, and spend a small fortune on antacids for naught?
    If I get the mail scenario under control, I'll install a Win 7 upgrade and save OEx to a flash drive to read. I'm told that will help save some things.
    Thanks to all who have been helping with this

Sarge :tas

16. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yep, you did. Reinstalling Win XP is not going to bring back your lost email. When you installed Win 7, you erased everything on your hard drive.

17. Eldon

You don't just get a new account. Where is your email account? I have a email account with Yahoo! Mail. Even if I delete all my emails in MS Office Outlook, the emails are still on Yahoo!'s servers. I can re-download them. But, I had to change a setting in Yahoo! Mail to keep a copy of the emails on the server.

Did you see this?

18. EmersonJohn

EmersonJohn Private E-2

Hi

There is one option to solve your query. I would suggest you to convert your Outlook Express DBX file to Microsoft Outlook PST file. By doing so you can easily access your DBX file data in new mail server.

You can only retrieve your DBX file data only when if you have backup of your DBX file. Otherwise there is no option to merge your DBX file in to new mail server.

19. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

He can't do that now. The DBX files are gone; they were erased by a technician who installed Win 7 for him.

I would not do this. OEx has not been supported by Microsoft for years now. It's time to move on to something more current, such as Windows Live Mail, or a non-Microsoft email client such as Mozilla's Thunderbird.

20. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

or...forget an email client.
    Since I got off of dialup 10 years ago, I no longer install any email client. I let my emails stay on the mail provider's servers.

If it is something I think I will need, I print it out and save a hard copy. I rarely need to print anything out.

21. Eldon

I agree with you. But, this person don't understand the difference between an email client and a an email account.

22. Earthling

This isn't about how to use email, it's about him having lost all the emails he had in Outlook Express. He doesn't seem to grasp that the emails themselves and Outlook Express are two completely separate things and that reinstating Outlook Express will do nothing at all to retrieve his emails. They are gone for good whatever he does and this was made abundantly clear in the first few posts. He just doesn't get it.

23. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I lost so much, a lot of which is dealing with canine rescue. I lost months and months of compiled contacts, emails regarding potential adoptions, inquiries, info for contacting fellow rescuers around the country, etc.
    I just ignored the answer from you folks, and hung on hoping, that somewhere, somehow they might be in an email purgatory of sort and I could "pray" them into my mailbox.
    But, because of the ineptness of a computer repair company, I will now have to start again.
    I will pull up my Yahoo mail and see what is there. I still cannot get OEx to receive mail due to something about Pop 3 if I remember correctly. I will get an XP to Win 7 upgrade and install it. Then I will decide what service to use.
    Thank you all for working so diligently with me.

Sarge

24. plodr

You'd avoid TONS of headaches if you avoid a service.
    Simply go to each website where you have an email address, read, sort and store them there.

Yahoo has unlimited email storage.
    gMail has 15GB of storage.

25. Eldon

Log onto your Yahoo! Mail account. Check your messages. Then click the following link.

https://za.help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/SLN15404.html?impressions=true

You will find detailed instructions how to setup Yahoo! Mail in IncrediMail, Mozilla Thunderbird, MS Office Outlook (2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013) and Oulook Express. The instructions also work for EssentialPIM*. If possible, avoid Oulook Express. Remember to choose between POP3 and IMAP. The latter will allow you to sync changes both ways.

* EssentialPIM Free :cool includes an email client. It's an 11MB download and worth a try.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/essentialpim.html

BTW plodr, Yahoo! Mail has 1TB storage. :-o

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  26. Earthling

Both Outlook.com and Gmail provide a similar service except theirs are free ;) I believe you have to pay for POP or IMAP with Yahoo, but correct me if I'm wrong.

27. Earthling

@Skysarge - it's a sad story but an all-too-common one unfortunately. I know you don't gel with technology but if you do nothing else decide what is vital for you and take advice on how best to keep it backed up. Someone said 'backup is only slightly less important than your heartbeat', and the way we all live nowadays that's true.

28. Eldon

POP or IMAP in Yahoo! Mail is free.

@Skysarge, in EssentialPIM, attachments can be saved to the PC, and emails can be exported as .eml files. I know it's an old format, but you can open .eml files in Notepad.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  29. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This was not true for many years but I found confirmation that free Yahoo! Mail now works with email clients for users who want to set up Yahoo! Mail to work as a POP or IMAP account. Apparently, the change was made by Yahoo! in October 2013. Reference: http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/10/access-yahoo-mail-using-pop3-imap/

30. Earthling

OK, thanks for the info.

31. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Well. had tech reload XP. Originally wanted to recoup OEx mail. That seems to not be the case, and I can kiss all my email thru OEx goodby.
    Guess you can teach an old dog.
    So, went online to see what is what with Win 7.
    Holy jumpin' catfish. If I am reading the synopses shown on Google, I have to do some through-the-hoop jumping to get downloads just to get my computer ready for 7.
    The version of XP the tech installed is a bootleg copy or registered to another computer, according to MS. Hopefully that will not matter.
    Will try and get this done tomorrow or this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed I don't get dumped on again in the process. Spending $75 just to lose my email ain't my idea of a good investment. ***
    Sarge:

32. Earthling

Too late to help you now but there is free software available with which you could have saved your Win 7 system before reloading XP, and with which you would have been able to restore it after discovering XP didn't help. It's called an imaging program and gets recommended here as a backup tool all the time.

Hope you kept a record of your Win 7 product key or you will also have to pay for 7 again.

33. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Of course, it had to be. Yet another glitch
    I had a Yahoo account so I could access the members-only section of a Rottweiler rescue cite. I had Yahoo mail also, although I seldom used it.
    Just learned that account has been recycled due to an extended period of inactivity. So, it would seem the last vestige of hope in finding any old email is now gone. But, then again I was not expecting to find any.

Sarge:tired

34. plodr

Yahoo holds your account for 12 months so you must not have checked email there in more than a year.

35. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

While I wait on a XP to Win7 upgrade disc, I wanted to use OEx.
    I got this when I tried to load:
    The host 'POP3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'POP3', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
    I read that Pop 3 is what is supposed to be entered, then when I do I get that message.
    Jeeze
    Sarge

36. Earthling

Account is in the form me@isp.com
    Servers are in the form pop.isp.com and smtp.isp.com
    SSL may or may not be required but you need to go to the help section of your account provider's website to obtain these settings. If you are still struggling and tell us which provider we can fill all the gaps for you other than your account name.

37. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I am becoming quite irritated with this.
    Went to OEx, followed instructions (I thought) to set up and sign onto an account.
    Got this error msg:
    "The server responded with an error. Account: 'Inbound.ATT.net', Server: 'Inbound.ATT.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 98.138.13.170 (98.138.13.170:110), NB connect error 1460', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90":guns:banghead:tas

38. Earthling

As I'm not an AT&T customer I can't verify that this is right but hopefully you will find the settings you need HERE, hopefully the fourth item down under Select Your Service.

39. Earthling

I have to stress that the slightest error, typo or otherwise, may generate this error. Complete accuracy is required.

40. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Do you understand that you can access that email account via your web browser. To sign in, go to https://loginprodx.att.net/commonLo...LEVEL=&FAILREASON=&PROTOCOL=https&OLDSESSION= and enter your email account and password.

41. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I do now. Cap'n there be email for me

42. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I cannot believe it.
    Finally got OEx up and running. Incoming email more than 2,000, so set it up to download. Went on to other matters
    Went to program file (It has no shortcut, and I cannot get it to set up one)
    Cued Outlook Express icon, nothing happens. Used mouse right key,used left key, nada, as in nothing doing.
    If there is anything of OEx to (censored) up,:X I don't know what it would be.
    Sarge:hammer:guns:banghead:mad:confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds