Where is is safe to download software from?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Nov 10, 2014.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Until recently, I've been using Filehippo's Update Checker to check and update my software. I've been told, on this forum, that it's no longer a safe site.

I've noticed that if you directly check CCleaner, if it has any updates the updates come from Filehippo.

Is there a safe site to use to check software and update it? Am I better updating software from the software developer? What do you do when they download it through a third party?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Seems FileHippo has tampered with your Ccleaner to cause that. In its original state Ccleaner updates itself from the author's site Piriform. I always update software either from MG or from the author's site except where Secunia PSI has done it automatically in which case I'm not sure where the update comes from.

So using FileHippo's update checker is tampering with your settings.

Attached Files:

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have to agree with Earthling. You either visit MajorGeeks or the Publisher's website.:major

We are never to old to learn - my late father.

4. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I only use Major Geeks for downloads and updates if possible! Pay attention to the extra bloat ware things offered like toolbars and uncheck them! They are not necessary or in my opinion wanted.

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I agree with all of the above.

This is just me, but I don't want any one software going through and updating things for me. I want to control what I update, when I update and most importantly what is included in that update.

Particularly if you use free utilities, most will include the option to install bloatware. Its a fact of life and its not going away. They are not making money off of the actual software, so they have to make it on the backend. By using a third party updater, you are putting your self in their control.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't have the newest version installed so I can't verify this but one of my internet friends said the newest version turns on automatic cleaning. After you update, you may want to look over all of CCleaner's settings just to be sure nothing like that is set.
    I turn off update notifications because that's one less program running and going out to check for updates.

8. LauraR

I think everyone is missing the point of the OP's question. I don't think he is asking specifically about ccleaner, but asking about software that checks for ALL software updates like the 'Update Checker' he is using: "Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo.com to see if there are any newer releases."

9. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

The best Update Checker that I've used is SUMo, Software Update Monitor.
    I'd just like to say "THANKS" to the developer.

Seems that there is not an actual manual for the software, but basic info. is here:
    KC Softwares Forums: User Manual?

One great thing about this is that you can add the executable for any program to have it checked, even portable programs stored on different drives.

I do all of my updating manually and download either from Major Geeks, if available, or the publisher's web site.

10. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Just to clarify a few things: I've uninstalled Filehippo update checker and no longer use it.

I do have CCleaner's auto cleaning function turned on. I didn't think it a bad thing but I'm now going to turn off that function.

I'm aware of bloatware and now read everything that's in the various boxes that come up during any installation and very carefully check for any pre-checked boxes.

@LauraR: thank you, especially for your 2nd post, I do think my mention of CCleaner caused advice to dwell on that programme. You were spot on: I was asking about updating software in general. I'd be most grateful if you'd expand your comments a bit about updating. How do you check and on what grounds do you determine whether you want an update?

11. LauraR

This is just me and others may disagree or do things differently.

Things I have set to auto update:
    Microsoft Windows
    Security Software

Things I have set to auto check for updates because they can be a security risk if they are not updated. I typically update these upon being prompted. :

Adobe Flash
    ccleaner (just because)
    All browsers (Palemoon, Mozilla, etc.)
    Microsoft products

Everything else (unless I'm forgetting some things from my category above), I leave them alone unless I'm running into problems or its been awhile since I've updated them. I do the same thing with Drivers. I don't update unless I'm running into issues (which is typically never).

Again, that's me. If you like to autoupdate, maybe try the software mjnc suggested since he has used it: SUMo

12. Earthling

The odd thing about SUMo is that MG is conspicuous by its absence from the list of sites you are offered to search for your updates. It's especially odd because the author, kyle_katam, has had an MG thread on SUMo running for what seems like forever, and at least four of the offered sites have been singled out for criticism here from time to time for loading their downloads with PUPs.

Attached Files:

13. LauraR

hmmm...interesting.

That screenshot is specially for Adobe Bridge it looks like, which we don't host. How about a software we do. Does it pull up MGs?

14. Earthling

Here you go Laura -

Attached Files:

15. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Thanks LauraR. I shall be applying that guidance from now on it. It sounds perfectly good advice to me. I don't actually auto-update anything. I do like some control. My preference is for the software to tell me there's an update available but to ask me if I want to download it. I primarily used Filehippo to check for updates I might have missed. I certainly never update drivers. I can't say I've ever run into an issue where updating the driver was the solution. I have run into problems where I've been advised to update drivers and have followed that advice. I have generally believed that updating is the best thing as it's primarily security software I update and my browser in the hope every update might be solving any security issues. I also generally believe things will work well if I apply updates. Another reason I don't auto-update is because wherever possible I use freeware and quite often auto-updates aren't available in freeware.

16. Earthling

SUMo looks like a useful program for establishing what updates are available, but I think I'd prefer to go find them myself.

17. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I always download my software from right here at majorgeeks as I know they are safe from malware and viruses

18. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

A great topic and answers. I agree with most along the line of use MG or publisher. I noticed a time ago a lot of software adding the updater capability. Now I keep the older installer as a backup and if the new version incorporates something like this I go back to the older version. CCleaner for example - after I saw the update checker tying up internet I rolled back to older. Another was avg going to the new interface. I didn't like it. Uninstalled all and went back to the old one. Now I use something alltogether different. My CCleaner has a copyright of 2004-2008 and still does the job. Newer is not always better.

19. oma

oma MajorGeek

I remember something going on in a thread here many years ago about SUMo or another software by the same author. Therefore I've never even considered any of his software. Too bad I don't remember what the matter was and can't find the thread in which I posted in either.

I always choose MG and/or the developer of software to download updates or new software. Used to have PSI 2 but have deleted that software because the score was always 100% (fully updated).

20. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Some misunderstanding here.

I do not, and have never done any software or driver updating directly with or from SUMo.

The real advantage to using SUMo is finding what software you already have has an update available.

I don't know what that was about but some people may have been nitpicking about the update information that SUMo provides and the way it gathers that info.
    As long as you realize what it Is and what it Is Not, and use it appropriately, I think it's a very useful tool.
    You can improve the listed results by taking advantage of the Ignore List which removes items from further checking.
    The list can be edited at any time.

So, to clarify:
    SUMo does not check or monitor software version information directly from the software publishers.
    Instead, it is based on data collected from all SUMo users.

===

KC Softwares Forums: SUMo Presentation

21. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I think everyone has missed Majorgeeks.com Software Updates and News v1.0.1.:-D
    Here's a screenshot.
    EWMG.jpg

22. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

The SUMo download Does Not come directly from Major Geeks.

Before downloading SUMo, please read the Warning on the following review page:
    Best Free Software Update Monitor

Always download either the Portable Zip version or the Lite Installer.

I use the portable version.

Attached Files:

23. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Command Sergeant Major

Thanks !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds