Anyone Familiar with Victoria for Windows?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdonah, Nov 20, 2014.

1. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just ran Victoria for Windows v 4.4.0.7 on my WD 80 GB HDD. Has anyone, here, used this software? What do the highlighted numbers in the attached mean? Should I be concerned about the four warnings?

I had downloaded an English translation of the Help file (it's in Russian in it's original form) but, the help file says nothing about interpreting the results of the scan.

Attached Files:

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have just downloaded Victoria and ran it. You have nothing to worry about, and I have everything to worry about. :cry Have a look at the image after a 7% scan! The reason you recieved the warnings is because you (or someone) checked the first 2 boxes. By default they are unchecked i.e. not important. If you look at the numbers at the bottom, 1 is between 20 & 50, and 3 are between 50 & 200. When they go over 600 you should worry.

I also have a 80GB HDD, but it's almost 10 years old.

PS Searching for Victoria, most of the results where for "Victoria's Secret"... :***

Attached Files:

3. mdonah

The first two boxes were checked only so they would, also, be included in the log. My HDD is circa 2008 in a machine that's circa late 2005 (so, I know it's not the original drive). What do the 5, 20, 50, etc. numbers mean? Why is 200 green? Is that the "sweet spot"? Unfortunately, your screenshot is difficult for me to see so, I really can't make heads or tails of it.

When I Googled, I Googled Victoria for Windows. Some Russians had posted the html help file on some FTP sites but, Belarus has blocked those sites now. What I was eventually able to find was a Google Translation posted in a forum the body of which I copied and pasted into Notepad. As I stated, there's no mention of how to interpret the results.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  4. Eldon

Sorry about the screenshot. I had to compress it to get the file size down. After a 7% scan, it showed 29 dark grey & 24 green versus your 1 & 3. That's why I said you have nothing to worry about. The numbers at the bottom are the milliseconds taken to access the block. You'll notice orange means between 200ms & 600ms, and red means more than 600ms. Your highest number is 141ms.

Using Ixquick, I found Victoria on MajorGeeks. Maybe one of the reviewers can help.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/victoria_for_windows.html

I also found an English help file.

http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=12829&p=84502

5. mdonah

That's exactly the help file I copied into Notepad. If you've read it through, you'll notice it doesn't tell you how to interpret the scan results. It also mentions "Jackdaws" which I've never heard of in computer terminology.

The only comment from the download link is from "danwa1234" and apparently he/she didn't run the app or he/she would have known about the write/remap capabilities.

6. Eldon

mdonah, the bottom line is, you have nothing to worry about. I explained the numbers to you.

Your scan 100% Dark grey 1 Green 3
    My scan 7% Dark grey 29 Green 24

Expected HDD Life 5 years :(
    Your HDD Life 6 years :)
    My HDD Life 9 years :cry

Instal CrystalDiskInfo (freeware), or Hard Disk Sentinel 4 Trial, or HDDlife Pro 4 (runs as Pro version for 15 days). Compare the results. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds