Can't Uninstall PC Doctor - Dreadful program!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Trial-and-Error, May 18, 2004.

1. Trial-and-Error

Trial-and-Error Private E-2

I've always had good luck choosing free programs to download; however, I really goofed with PC Doctor. It was supposedly a "free trial" but has turned out to be the program from hell.

I searched for an uninstall link; found one, but when I clicked on it, Explorer kicked out and I was summarily returned to desktop.

I know precious little about computers, so I don't know how to fix. In the meantime, the program issues a loud shrill noice from the box of the computer on a fairly regular basis--and I can't turn that off either, 'cause muting the volume has no effect whatever.

I'm desperate; please help if you can.

Thanks.

2. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Welcome to Major Geeks! :)
    The first thing to do would be to run AdAware and remove all the spyware. That may take the heart out of the so-called PC Doctor (pardon the pun). You may have to do a search for all the files and folders for PC Doctor, and manually delete them, and then ren a Reg Cleaner. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

3. SportsNut

SportsNut Corporal

The "real" PC Doctor is a very good diagnostic program, and also very expensive.

Their are several copy-cat sites/programs out there that use very similar names to fool people.

I have read several posts on different forums where people have been fooled and ended up with back-door stuff on their computer.

eclayton has the right idea. Scan your computer with a good spyware program.

4. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Even after running anti spy/malware you may still find it necessary to go into the registry and find any leftovers that may jump out and bite you. RegSeeker would be helpful here because of its backup facility.
    Robert

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds