Dell Dimension 4700 crashes whenever play any game

Discussion in 'Software' started by Black Blade, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Black Blade

Black Blade Private E-2

Whenever my wife tries to play any game on her Dell Dimension 4700, 2.8 Ghz Pent 4, 1 GB ram and x300 Radeon video card, the machine crashes and she gets a blue screen that usually does not have any error messages. Sometimes there are various "stop" messages. She used to log on and play Toon Town, but cannot do that anymore at all.

She has run her anti virus which had been working, but has since got a blue screen with a stop message about deleting the anti virus program (E Trust).

Any help with this would be appreciated...let me know if you need any other info.

2. Black Blade

Black Blade Private E-2

The games that she plays are just simple little games she gets from Big Fish Games...like Mah-Jong, and various other puzzle things. I wouldn't think a P4 with 1 gb of ram would have any trouble with these little games....

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If your wife had a message stating that you should delete your antivirus software then I would be suspecting a Virus/Spyware, so to rule any of that out, I would suggest you follow the below guide and when completed post a NEW thread in the Malware part of our forum mentioning the problems you are having above and attaching the requested logs from the guide.

4. Black Blade

Black Blade Private E-2

She has ran a gauntlet of mal ware applications as well as the anti virus...has been defragging it as well. According to all these her system is clean..

5. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Ditto Halo's message above Black Blade

6. Black Blade

Black Blade Private E-2

yep...am running all the scans on her machine as I type here...will post results asap....actually I am on the third time now of trying to run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool...window keeps popping up that the program has encountered a problem and needs to close. It seems to run longer each time tho before it stalls....I set it to do a complete full scan as opposed to a quick scan, figured that was best....

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  7. Black Blade

Black Blade Private E-2

I gave up on running the MS Malicious program...it kept stalling out. Moved on down list to Spy Bot...it runs about 1/4 of the way thru its scan and then the whole program just closes and disappears off the screen. I restarted it and this time it blue screened on me...not looking like I'm gonna get thru these scans very well guys!

8. Black Blade

Black Blade Private E-2

Since her machine has an oem version of XP...I don't really know exactly how to proceed...cuz I was thinking of popping her HDD into my machine and getting photos off it etc then reformatting it...but then how to get the OS back on it? There must be people with Dell's that have to reformat...how do you go about it?

9. Black Blade

Black Blade Private E-2

nobody has run into these troubles? I can't run all the cleaning programs without it crashing....

10. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Not familar with Dell's but you might be able to follow a normal XP cd.

Does it have a repair consol or something similar where you can do a repair not a format?

That might get it stable enough to backup those files. Who knows....it might even behave.

If not you can then format it. Even though it is Dell you should be able to figure it out.

If you are not sure insert the XP cd & bootup. See if you can get to the repair section.....not the recovery consol.

You can back out if not sure.......as long as you don't go too far.

See if it is similar to this.

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

DELLs generally come with a restore cd or a restore partition on the HD, check the manuals that came with the PC or pop to DELL and look at the Help & Support for you model of DELL

Owners Manual for the 4700
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/en/index.htm

Some troubleshooting ideas
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...1A&journalid=FBD54DB4FD1D11DA8CB1FDDDBE416B5C

I did think the PC was usable until a game was played? if so can you burn all the important Docs and Pictures onto CD? ( also dont forget to double check you have backed up all important files this may include Internet Favorites and Email addresses etc )

Yes you could slave the HD into your PC to copy the files, BUT that increases the risk of whatever is affecting your wifes PC, infecting yours if indeed it is malware!

Can you boot into Safe Mode? if so run some of th ecleanup routines and soem scans their?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds