IE Alternative

Discussion in 'Software' started by RayDunne, Mar 6, 2005.

1. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

I recently got rid of a malware infection, specifically an IE browser hijack. I decided to find an alternative to IE and first opted for Mozilla Firefox. Then in learning, or at least thinking that Netscape was built on Mozilla's engine, I have been using Netscape 7.2. I installed it on both of our PCs. I am the exclusive user on mine and since the infection I have been ruthless about keeping the garbage out of my comp. However the wife and kids, who are not the least bit interested in it, unless thier PC starts messing up, use the other comp and I am trying to keep an eye on it for them while still making it useable for the nonsense that they like to use it for. To the point, I can't run the Trend Micro or Symantec online scans with Netscape. I am wondering if one of the IE alternatives, such as MyIE2, are both "safe" from hijack and able to run the scans?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Thanx Kodo, that scan works! :) Anything I can do about the symantec scan?

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'm afraid I don't know if they have a java version. If they do, I can't find it.

5. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

OK, how about this, I have Norton System Works 05', will that perform the same scan as it is a Symantec product?

6. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Also, I have heard that AVG and Avast are better AV prog's, will they work as well or better?

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

in my experience, better.

8. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

OK, so if I use Avast, I don't need the Symantec online scan?

9. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Also, is Netscape as "safe" as Firefox?

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I would agree with that statement for the most part. NEED is pretty general. It's always good to have multiple plans ;) but Avast will do the job well :D

11. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

How about my question about Netscape? Also, is Netscape as "safe" as Firefox?

12. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

netscape and firefox are both built on the same engine called "gecko", so in general they will both be succeptible to the same problems. however, firefox is a bit more developed and more efficient. its hard to say which is more vulnerable, but in General i'd recommend Mozilla Firefox over Netscape.

13. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Ok, thanks alot, all of you poeple are a great help, I hope I can get to the point where I can help others in here. Don't know what I would have done without this site when IE got hijacked last month. I got lucky in finding MG, I tried 3 other forums to no avail and then I got here, thank god. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds