Time to upgrade? Processor killing me

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdf8585, Nov 28, 2005.

1. rdf8585

rdf8585 Private E-2

I don't do anything intensive on my laptop - surfing the net, mp3 playback, chat and open office writer is the extent of it ... but my laptop can barely handle that. I know certain websites, like flash/video heavy espn.com, are especially bad. (yes I have broadband, specifically road runner).

The laptop currently has 640 MB of RAM, a tad more than I need for what I do, but I think the processor is what stinks -

Celeron 2.0ghz, 128 KB L2 cache, 133 mhz FSB.

Some described that L2 cache and FSB as "crippling." Does that stink, even for medial tasks?

There was even something at pcworld about a 2.0 celeron, as what not to buy in 2005 (this laptop was bought in mid 2003)

"2-GHz Celeron is a favorite for the budget-minded. These systems will underperform in almost every respect. They'll even stutter on the Internet where flat HTML has been replaced by DHTML, Flash, audio, and more recently, video."

2. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

You answered your own question, with the quote at the bottom!!

However...replacing the cpu in a laptop, is not as simple as popping the case apart and replacing it!! It is very complicated!! It is something best suited to save for the experts that do this every day!!!!

Are you sure you are 100% spyware free!?!?! If not...you might be AMAZED the difference can be!! You might have stuff on there that is hogging your resources and you don't even know it!!!!

Roger

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  3. rdf8585

rdf8585 Private E-2

For 650 total, I could get

Pentium M, 1.73 GHZ, 2 MB L2 cache, 400 mhz FSB
    512 MB DDR 2 RAM (up to 2 GB, current laptop only to 1 GB)
    40 GB 5400 RPM HD (current 4200 RPM/30 GB)
    Intel GMA 900
    15.1 WXGA (current 14 inch, no widescreen)

worth it?

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

That's a pretty good deal!!

Would you be willing to go AMD instead of Pentium?? Might be able to find you bang for the buck!?!?!

Roger

5. rdf8585

rdf8585 Private E-2

I have no preference between AMD/Intel.

I don't want to spend too much more than 650, but if you can find an AMD-based laptop with an comparable processor for about the same price, let me know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds