password protected Sharing XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stiched, Feb 2, 2009.

1. stiched

stiched Private First Class

ok, basically i want to share specific folders between 3 computers in my house. i already have file sharing set up and working beautifully.

however...

i would like to password protect each of the computers so that only i could access these files. i have seen it done before where a username and password dialog box comes up when u find that pc in "view workgroup computers"

another problem i have is that each of the user accounts have different names on all 3 computers, and i dont want to change them

i have searched for ways to do this using permissions however thats where it gets tricky. also all the guides i have found all say that all usernames and passwords must be identical on all 3 computers.

any help much appreciated

2. pari22

pari22 Corporal

1. Setup users and passwords on "resource computer" - PC with shared folder with unique ID (ex. "user1")
    2. Open properties of "shared folder" locally (from resouce computer), and give it specific user permissions and security. For example, if it is shared by "everyone", delete it and give "user1" full access. Make sure you do this for both "sharing" & "security" tab.
    3. Make sure you don't have any "user1" as users on other PC's.
    4. go to client pc (other computers), and try to connect to your resource pc. it will ask you for user name and password.

3. stiched

thanks for the quick reply. this is sounding like exactly what i want to do

i have set up another account on one of the PC's called "share" i have set the permissions for the sharing and security tab to full control.

however whenever i try to log into that folder from another pc, i get the "access is denied" diaglog box appear. not even asking me to enter a username and password.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. stiched

ok i got this information somewhere on the internet which makes sence:

If a user connects from another machine, the user name/password on
    the machine that he is connecting from is tried. If they match,
    then access is automatically granted with permissions for that user.
    If the user name exists on the server but the password does not
    match, access is denied. ***If the user name does not exist on the
    server, then a prompt window is displayed to enter a
    username/password for that connection.***

i am NOT gettin this prompt and none of the usernames on any of my machines are the same. and i want to know why not?

6. pari22

pari22 Corporal

This is just an assumption... but if you did not create a brand new account on your "client workstation", and just changed name from manufatured PC, you are still connecting as "administrator". It probably shows up your name or something, but you are actually logging on as administrator. Try to create a brand new account like "userx" and logon as userx. See if it'll work this way.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds