Gateway E Series Audio Driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AaronHanson007, Mar 11, 2009.

1. AaronHanson007

AaronHanson007 Private E-2

Hello,

I am a technician for a public school and we got a heck of a deal on three Gateway E series desktop computers. I reformatted and got everything up and running but I am missing the audio driver.

I've tried about 5 different drivers, and the ones that I find from Intel or Gateway I get a "SoundMAX driver not found: please reboot your system and try again" error. And of course that doesn't work.

I loaded into Ubuntu 8.4.0 and found the driver is: 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC '97 Audio Controller - Intel V 2.0 which gives a very vague description.

According the mobo specs the driver i need to find is:

SoundMAX 4 XL with AudioESP audio subsystem* using the Analog Devices AD1985 codec

Which I found and didn't work. i have my everest report as well.

I'm about to throw these computers through a window. Anyone got any advice they can offer me?

Thanks,

Aaron

Attached Files:

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

3. AaronHanson007

Nope,

that basically gives me an very long lesson on how the controller really works and what not.

Anything else?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. AaronHanson007

I had those drivers, and were actually the first ones i tried.

I read the troubleshoot for the Audio Driver installation and tried it all. I even went through the trouble of reformatting with audio disabled. and enabled it when all drivers were installed.

I want to say its a hardware issue, but i would just have to say its unlikely that three of the exact same desktops won't load the driver.

Any more ideas?

Aaron

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

7. AaronHanson007

No luck. The driver doesnt work for a SP3 system or a SP2 system. I got desperate enough and tried to see if "tricking" the system to thinking i have Sp1 would help but no such luck.

Ah just one more reason Linux is better than Microsoft :p

I appreciate the help I've been given. Still looking for answers if anyone can help!

Aaron

8. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Hi Aaron, I found the same drivers as Plodr. It may be the way you are trying to install them.

Install the chipset first reboot. Then after each driver install reboot. before you install the audio upgrade to sp3. Then install the audio driver. Once that is installed go to this link

MG Musksnipe's posted fix
    and do the fix.

9. AaronHanson007

Nope, I have been doing the recommended installation process since the beginning. I tried the update.

Not sure where to go from here...

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The only suggestion, which may sound snotty but not intended to be, find a great deal on sound cards. If you can't get sound working because of no proper driver and it is needed on the computers, then get a sound card that comes with the drivers.

What is the exact model of computer? Could it be that the sound chip is being identified wrong? It does happen. Have you looked inside and noted any numbers on the sound chip? Maybe for some strange reason, different sound chips were put in, despite what the site says.

Try this http://majorgeeks.com/Unknown_Device_Identifier_d6091.html
    and see if it comes up with something for the sound chip.

11. AaronHanson007

Well from what I see the drivers I have been installing are correct.

I attached my device report to this post.

Attached Files:

12. AaronHanson007

Well just thought I'd throw the solution to the problem out there for anyone else who might need it.

Found the drivers and feel like an idiot for apparently not being on the right Gateway Model in their drivers section.

Here's the link to the driver for the Gateway E4100 Series

http://support.gateway.com/support/...latform=10021&model=10613&os=10406&type=10096

Thanks for all your help!

Consider this one closed! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds