What to use besides PATHETIC INTERNET EXPLORER?!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by CloX-IT, Dec 30, 2003.

1. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

Anything better to brows the web with besides this stupid,crash ever few websites, IE piece of software refuse?!!

Thanks.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Mozilla
    Firebird
    MyIE
    Opera

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I know of NO ONE whos browser crashes every couple of websites. You must have another problem.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That too.

Have you tried disabling third party browser extensions and seen if it helps stability?

5. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

I use MyIE2 and am very pleased...never a crash (Yes, I know it is based on IE, but it adds the features that are nice)

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I haven't had any problems with IE in so long as I can remember that I couldn't fix. Most of my troubles started with the onset of spyware and weren't caused by IE itself.

I would recommend Opera as I feel it supports the standards quite well. It does have it's quirks but it's the best alternative I've used. I thought mozilla firebird was going to take it, but I was mistaken.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I thought it was funny :p

Another tidbit of troubleshooting lore:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

8. StratCat

StratCat Private E-2

Another vote for MyIE2 here as well...great piece of software and the plugins make it awesome

9. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi clox-it
    I would take a look here
    How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

10. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

eeehh. I think its Cybersitter conflicting with IE. I never remember IE crashing like this in Win98/ME.

I think it l started after I installed the web filter if I think real hard about it. Oh well. Have to put up with it I guess. The filters/progrm update themselves automtically.

I'll take a clean machine over one with a stable IE. Means more to me.

11. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

12. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

What StratCat said. I'll never go back to plain ol' IE.

13. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

yip.. slows browsing down bad on dialup.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I already posted that in this thread :p

15. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

In all the "which browser is best" conversations I've had through the years, I have always recommended Netcaptor. It is a browser based on IE, but doesn't depend on it for functioning. Therefore, problems that you're experiencing with IE right now, probably won't be present should you make the switch to Netcaptor.

To start off, I have only known two individuals to ever use Netcaptor. The IT guy at my high school, and myself. This is rather astonishing to me because I've not seen a more practical, user-friendly, and efficient browser on the market. I've tried Opera. I've tried Mozilla. I've suffered through Internet Explorer and Netscape. However, none of them have come close to gaining my respect like Netcaptor has.

One of the best features of Netcaptor is it's tabbed browsing (which you can find in other browsers, such as Opera), which means that you can open up many websites and they are confined to tiny, individual tabs in the main Netcaptor window. This frees up taskbar space, as it's not being overrun by multiple browser buttons. When I first made the switch to Netcaptor (my first experience with tabbed browsing), I thought "WTF? Why would I ever need something like that?" Well, I quickly found that, with as much browsing I do, Netcaptor kept everything tidy for me so that I didn't have to hunt through multiple taskbar buttons.

Another notable feature of Netcaptor is it's built-in pop-up blocker. Not much really needs to be said about it, besides the fact that it's extremely effective. I rarely see pop-ups anymore, whereas they used to plague me when I was browsing with IE.

For screenshots, and a detailed breakdown of many features of Netcaptor, take the tour that's on their website..

16. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

For an example of what it looks like at a common resolution (1024x768, which isn't really portrayed in the pictures on the tour) check out my attachment.

(forgive the quality of the picture.)

17. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

What he said. :)

18. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

thanks for all the input peeps! A fellow board member got to me on ICQ before you last night and suggested AVANT..I LIKE IT! looks like the browsers you guys are discribing.

The only thing I dont like is.. I cant seep to put my favorites in the order I want..they are all alphabetical..

OOPS! TYPO IN THE IMAGE!! LOL!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  19. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I found avant used too much memory and eventually becomes unbearably slow. I moved to MyIE2 because of this and it does allow you to reorganize your favorites.

20. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

21. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

Kodo. I tried it. I can find no browser that has the "drag n' drop" method of organizing my favorites. I am back to regular ol IE. Microsoft has brainwashed me.. I cant get used to anything else.

22. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

put it in your favorites first by hitting control d.. then move it to where you want it.

23. Major Attitude

Have you tried MYie2? I use Avant, but MYie2 does a couple things better. Avants bookmark support has been a bit slow coming, not too long ago, you could not even delete them through Avant. Try it let us know.

24. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

I keep trying all kinds. I like most of them. With the exception of IE. IMHO it just downright sucks. But my all time favorite that I am using on both XP and Mepis Linux is Mozilla Firebird. Opera runs a close second.

25. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

.. I have gone through all the options in MyIE and Avant,still I cant organize my favorites in a custom order.. they show up in the drop box in alphabetical order no matter WHAT. I like Avant better than MyIE ..personally. Its fast for me!

I'll go try Mozilla Firebird and Opera. If they are as "light" and fast as Avant AND LET YOU SET YOUR FAVORITES IN A CUSTOM ORDER.. one of them will win. I have had neither Avant NOR MyIE crash on me.

26. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi CloX-IT].. Try the slim browser which can be found here
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1404.html
    This is a good tab-page browser

27. Major Attitude

Slim Browser is cool too, sounds like he is on the right track, taking the time to test some out. Often people are leary to try another browser fearing that they may screw up their internet connection or web browsing. Wont happen, install, uninstall, test them all. When you find what you like its worth it. I have, and its been Avant for me. All have some disadvantages based on personal opinion.

28. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I do it all the time with MyIE.. I hit CTR+D to get it to the list. then I find the link, click and hold and drag it up to the spot I want.. then let go. This is a default behavior in the browser.
    Not sure why you're having such a hard time with it.

29. Jabman

Jabman Private First Class

Another browser you could try is K-Meleon......haven't tried it myself, but may be worth a look :) .

Regards,
    Jade.

30. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

Me neither man. I TRY do drag the links around in the drop menu..no go.. I use the favorites managment thing..set them where I want..got to the drop menu.. saaame places.

AAANYWAY.. I am using Mozilla. I saw the old Nutscrape Nagrivator Icon after I installed it and got real twitchy..BUT I have been at it for 2 days now. Not one crash and it acts like it and cybersitter were made for each other. Its funny.. do a questionable search..click on the results and you go to nice family friendly site... like OUR NATIONAL PARKS.. or something! LOL! IE just gave you a nice white "PAGE NOT FOUND" page. At least NOW if there IS a proper site displayed from your search,you can go to it.

Also you can organize favs anywhere. Only glitch I found is on some cardomain.com sites it will give the wrong table 3/4 or the browser.. I'll get that fixed too.. must be a java thing. BUT this thing ROCKS.

You can see in the attached image.. the borders are a bit wacked on some cardomain sites.

Attached Files:

31. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Me too. I can drag/arrange them to any order in the Organize Favorites dialog, but they still show up alphabetically in the drop menu. :confused:

32. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

For what it's worth:
    I like IE alot, but in my search for an alternative I have found 3(well 2) browsers that I love: I paid for Opera and love it's mouse gestures...but there are too many pages that don't work properly....I still use it at my parents as I find it faster than IE. I've tried early versions of Mozilla but they actually seemed slower than IE on my parents 56k connection. I finally settled on a fairly recent build of Firebird: it's nice and small; it's fast; it renders my regular sites properly -and it works well with my secure banking sites (I assume that it's because of it's; it's Netscape heritage); and it incorporates some of my favourite Opera features (like Tabbed Browsing, and Mouse Gestures. Add to that that it is free and I've found my fave (for now).
    I also like it's handlink of bookmarks.
    I'm downloading Firebird for my parents PC as I type this.

33. BozUriel

BozUriel Private E-2

Fast Browser Pro (I'm currently running 6.4). Seems to work okay, problems I've noticed, when the auto-fill drops down, you have to mouse click it or it won't take, also noticed web based e-mail and forums, like this one, you fill stuff out, switch back to see something then switch forward again and all ur stuff is gone. Bugs me but I'm told it's not a design flaw. They say it's more secure than IE.

Still testing it myself, just thought I'd throw that out there.

34. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Mozilla firebird Rox. Amazing fast. You can edit it yourself too without having to decompile it as well, which is useful. And most things work, even IFrames! but for some reason the enhanced message box isnt working on the latest version of the forum, which is weird.. but im sure thats just a glitch on vBs part, which will be fixed.

I like IE because everyone has it, and makes web sites easier to make (less incompatibility problems) for the masses. BUT when you want speed and performance, its sux ass. lol.

35. acejones

acejones A Different Title

i use MyIE2. It has been great for me. My only complaint is that I can't enable the Links toolbar. I have to enable the favorites toolbar to get to my Links.

Attached Files:

36. Tater

Tater Tot

I've tried MyIE2. There's no readme, just an exe. that will not even install (errors). This is on an XP system with no other problems. Thumbs down here.

37. acejones

are you sure about that? it seems i have a whole folder full of files for MyIE2, and I suspect everyone else that uses it does too.

Attached Files:

38. Tater

Tater Tot

I just unzipped the latest version from his website (version 9. something, it's deleted now). I unzipped it and there was only an exe. that would not install, errors came up almost immediately. The file you show were probably there after the install.

39. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

And a full-featured help system...

40. Tater

Tater Tot

Looks nice, too bad it won't install.

41. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

delete your cache..download it again and check the size of the zip file.. make sure it's like 762k.

42. acejones

hot damn! would you look at that! thanks star! btw...congrats on the mars landing. is the beagle officially "lost"?

43. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

MyIE is my personal favorite browser; built in pop up blocker (a good one to), tabbed, and some nice features.
    Gets my vote:)

44. Tater

Tater Tot

I re-downloadedd MyIE2 and it now works great. I like the pop-up blocker and the tabbed sites, but I'm still getting used to it and learning. Must have been a bad/corrupt download. Any tips for a noob? The bar at the bottom right above the task bar is strange. Not sure what that does.

45. acejones

if you hover on top of the buttons, it will tell you what its for.

My advice: keep using it. you eventually get used to the location of everything, and once you do, its a great piece of software.

Attached Files:

46. Tater

Tater Tot

Wow, that's very strange. I hover and get nothing. It was the first thing I tried also. The trashcan with the # of pop-ups is the only thing that shows what it is when hovering.

47. acejones

here they are from left to right:
    Enable/Disable All Filters
    Activate New Window
    Open Links in New Window
    Simple Collector

48. Tater

Tater Tot

Is it possible to get rid of this bar? Do you use it much? Damn, I love the web site tabs/multiple page in one window feature. Thanks for the quick responses also.

49. acejones

its part of the status bar. View --> Status Bar (uncheck)

50. Tater

Tater Tot

Cool. thanks Ace.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds