Every time I install ZoneAlarm Free, my port-forwarding/torrent use drops off!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toddy_a, Aug 31, 2006.

1. toddy_a

toddy_a Private E-2

Hello, Major Geeks!

First time poster, long time reader. I hope I don't screw this posting up too badly! (and I have read the FYIs, etc.) :eek:

(I've downloaded Hijack this etc etc, but I don't have any spyware; please read on...)

I enjoy using torrent technology (BitTornado, Azureus, etc) for legal purposes only. I'm using a D-Link DI-704P-Rev A router (cable modem) and wireless within my house. I then stupidly installed ZoneAlarm Free and my torrent-ing went to crap. No more port-forwarding; i.e. it doesn't seem to be working. My download speeds (and upload speeds) have dropped waaaay off; in Azureus, for instance, when I do the NAT/Firewall test, it says I have a NAT error. BTW, I had *no* problems before installing (and uninstalling) ZoneAlarm Free.

I *know* I've heard of other people having problems with torrenting after installing/removing ZA. I went through the full uninstall procedure on the ZA website (have removed all the ZA files/DLLs/etc), but still my torrenting is no-good.

I know how to use port-forwarding using my D-Link router: prior to ZA, I was forwarding 6883-6889 with good success.

Can anyone help me figure out how to 'reset' my computer to pre-ZA status. Oh, BTW, I *don't* have System Recovery Points enabled, so that's a non-issue here.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

-Todd

PS here are my system specs:

(attached in txt file)

Attached Files:

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

If I remember correctly ZA used to have memory leak where large amounts of udp traffic is involved. Not sure if the issue remains. Your rates will have dropped because ZA will be blocking the ports you have set up for forwarding so you will not be able to have direct connections your will need to set up rules in ZA to allow the ports you have forwarded through

4. toddy_a

toddy_a Private E-2

Thank you for your replies, Uber-Geeks.

My problem: I've already uninstalled ZA from my laptop (using the detailed procedure from the ZA website support forums) and I *still* cant get bandwidth/proper internet -full- access. (i.e. torrenting).

Question: are there any hidden internet/router/TCP/etc settings that I can get to on my computer to reset back to original? If not, I'm tempted to back up my important docs and wipe the computer; it's a drag, but I'll eventually learn NOT to install ZA on my computer!

Thanks again, and thanks in advance for your replies.

-Todd

5. toddy_a

toddy_a Private E-2

Hey, eveybody,

I'm going ahead and wiping my laptop. I don't know what it is exactly about ZA, but once you install it your computer is changed in some way/ways that uninstalling doesn't remedy.

Thanks for all your help.

Todd

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds