Wireless Network Bandwidth being stolen?

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by LUPIN58, May 22, 2008.

1. LUPIN58

LUPIN58 Private E-2

Hi,

Suspect someone is stealing my bandwidth on my wireless home network. Router is showing high activity even when not doing anything.

Understand that some programs always query the internet normally for updates, etc, so the router may be showing activity even if not doing anything on the internet, but my monthly allotted bandwidth is dissapearing too quickly. It cost me money to buy it monthly, could someone outside my house be riding my wireless router, and if so how can I tell? I have a router password enabled already by the wireless provider.

Is there a program that allows me to monitor my router's bandwidth usage and spot outside intruders sharing it? Can it give me the intruders IP Address to report to my wireless provider?

2. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

It is possible that someone is leaching your wireless connection.

Start a new thread HERE in the netwotking forum.

The guys in there will be able to advise you further.

Good Luck..

3. LUPIN58

LUPIN58 Private E-2

Thanks WildWolf220 Took this over there, and will look for replies on the networking thread post of it.

LUPIN58

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Follow their advice. Usually, you can leave it wide open and people can use your bandwidth, but hacking you is very hard to do. You want to set up a wireless key, so anyone entering your wi-fi needs that "key". In other words, you want to password protect your wi-fi (router)

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds